Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

December 10, 2018

South of the Border, SC

Back in 1976 when we drove home from Florida, my dad stopped at South of the Border, a super kitschy souvenir complex which is right on the South Carolina/North Carolina line.  I remembered it being colourful, crowded, somewhat dazzling, and of course all the funny billboards on the way.  I asked Russell if he minded stopping on the way home.  The billboards were plentiful and amusing.




However when we got there, I found it so run down that the first thought in my head was 'what a dump'.  I'd assumed we were going to be here at least an hour with me looking around and probably eating at the restaurant.  Nope.  I wasn't going near that restaurant.  The whole place was just so hinky and creepy.



I achieved my goals of souvenirs and a pressed penny but the store was just too weird.  The whole vibe there was weird.







I wanted to walk around outside a bit and get more pics despite it being so tacky and Russell didn't let me out of his sight, slowly driving along close by where I was walking.













Glad I stopped this time cause I won't be back.

4 comments:

  1. funny what you remember fondly as a kid, and then completely let down as an adult. It happens to all of us. Oh well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess this place wasn't really all that old the first time I went. Maybe 10 years tops. I guess I assumed they continued to update as time went on. Apparently not. lol

      Delete
  2. Haha. Well, you got some funky photos for us. Thanks for taking one for the team - and staying safe all the while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! It definitely had a real weird vibe going on but another one checked off the list anyway! haha

      Delete