Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

February 4, 2018

Winter Projects

How is it possible that it's almost February????  I finished up this cross stitch in just 3 days' time. I love easy 'instant gratification' projects.


This was messed up from the get go.  I miss counted so much that I ended up just finishing to see how bad it'd look.  My friend Hannah loved it so much so I sent it to her.  I loved the design and colours but by the time I was done, I knew I wasn't going to keep it.

I found capiz shells on Amazon and made a couple of windchimes.  This is the one on a starfish.  I have another that I did with the shells descending in a spiral but I don't have a pic yet.


People were posting these cool pics of bubbles with pretty frost forming in the sub zero temps so I gave it a try but it didn't work that well for me.  

It just mostly fogged up.



This project is extremely challenging.  Building the Hogwarts Express out of teeny tiny pieces of metal, that have microscopic tabs that fit into microscopic slots.

Penny there for scale.  There are about 70 pieces that have to be carefully punched out and assembled.

You have to follow these instructions which are actually pretty easy if you go slow and make sure of each step before you commit.  I've had a lot of trouble keeping ahold of the super small pieces, even with tweezers and needlenose pliers, and a few pieces have broken.  Thank god for E6000 glue and toothpicks.





So far I've got the coal tender done and now I'm working on the engine.  Each piece feels light as a feather but put together it's surprisingly heavy.


One of my friends asked me to make this for her.  It was a quick workup....a few hours one afternoon.  I used four strands of rainbow floss for the lettering since it's on 12ct Aida.  I was going to outline the letters but it didn't look right so I took it out (thankfully I'd only done the M).  

Just waiting for him to be born so I can finish this one.  



12 comments:

  1. You are so amazingly talented its unreal! I LOVE those wind chimes SO much! If my eyes weren't so bad I might cross stitch more but I can only do it in short increments now. Love, love, love your creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen!!!!! If I don't create, I think I'll die. lol I always have to have some kind of project going.

      Delete
  2. beautiful!! yes this is already February.. where the January went????

    ReplyDelete
  3. lot's of fun projects going on at your place - those pieces do look pretty small, I'm sure I'd be dropping them all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I've stalled out on the train cause it's so hard!!

      Delete
  4. I love the wind chime and your cross stitch. The Hogwarts express looks tedious to put together. Lots of patience you have. Hugs, lj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Jane! I really need to get back to the train.

      Delete
  5. wind chimes are awesome. One sneeze and your teensy parts projects could just blow away. Impressive winter work. You have patience galore. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I have patience for crafts and that's about it. If I have to wait in line in a store, I'm not patient AT ALL. lol

      Delete
  6. All pictures are wonderful. That small engine is so adorable.
    https://clickbystyle.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete