Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

April 5, 2017

Making the Best of Yet Another Cold Day

We've gotten April off to a very cold start too!  But I took a little time to bop around downtown Sandwich one Sunday morning. 


This is outside the Glass Museum

There's a cell tower being put up on the steeple and I hope it doesn't mess up how nice the steeple looks.



Dexter's Grist Mill, looking really worse for the wear.

This whole herring run has been redone and a huge, beautiful old weeping willow was taken down.  All of the old timers are crushed that the tree is gone....I am heartbroken.  Apparently the roots were weakening the rock wall and the only way to do this project was to take the tree down.

Grist Mill & Town Hall

Newcomb's Tavern.

Town Hall

Then I drove over to Boardwalk and it was so cold and windy....too cold for my jean jacket.  People were quahogging in Mill Creek.


These are oyster cars (that's what Russell called them) and this is the first time that either of us has ever seen any kind of shellfishing in Mill Creek.  The creek featured above eventually makes it's way down here and all of the runoff and crap from town gets swept here. I would not eat shellfish from Mill Creek, no way, no how.




On the way back to town, I pulled over near the marshes to get a few low tide pics from that vantage point.  When I saw the brickwork like this, I wondered if it was part of the old Glass Factory, which meant I might have a shot at finding chunks of broken Sandwich Glass in the mud.  I figured there was no way because I was sure people have picked through it for the past 100 years or so.

So I ventured out onto the mud to get a few snappies.

I never knew there was a little dock out here.

A swing in the yard of the house that was next to me. I look forward to seeing green trees, hopefully soon.




But then.....

20 comments:

  1. Interesting walk around Sandwich. No, I don't believe I would want to eat anything that came out of that water either.
    Hoping you get some green soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green would be good. Heck, 60 degrees would be good!

      Delete
  2. Sandwich in Kent, England is a lovely quaint little town a few miles from Dover where we frequently take a ferry to France or Belgium. There is a nearby village called Ham and signpost that says Ham 1/2 Mile, Sandwich 3 Miles!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s stupendous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we went to England on a school trip in 1982, we were taken through Sandwich on the way to the ferry to France at the White Cliffs of Dover. It was so cool. I would LOVE to see that sign!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. See below!:
      http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-road-sign-kent-for-the-village-of-ham-and-town-of-sandwich-kent-england-30205025.html

      Delete
    3. That's awesome! Thank you! I wonder how often it gets stolen?!

      Delete
  3. Such character in an old town. Nice tour despite the brisk temps. Shame about the willow tree. Progress? Bah humbug to that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us 'old timers' don't like all the changes that the newcomers and 'wash-ashores' keep wanting to make. They waste sooo much money and keep raising the property taxes. I always scoff when someone on one of the Sandwich FB pages says, 'well I've been here for 15 years!' And I'm like, 'aren't you adorable. My parents moved there in the 1950s and my husband's family dates back to the 1700s'. haha

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3:01 PM

    Weeping Willows are one of my favorite trees. I'm sorry it had to be taken down. I hope the cell tower doesn't ruin the steeple too, it's such a great looking church, I'd hate to see modern technology ruin a historical looking site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the cell tower ever would've been approved unless it was unobtrusive...at least I hope not. Fun fact: The cover of Elvis Presley's 'How Great Thou Art' album features this church. Elvis was never in Sandwich, they just stuck his face on it. lol But the church is what the cover designers were looking for to represent the quintessential Christian Church. It was founded by the Pilgrims in the 1600s and is the oldest church on Cape Cod.

      Delete
  5. The Earl of Sandwich, Kent, England, was the one who invented the sandwich. Not wanting to leave his dice/card games he requested some meat between two slices of bread. Love your photos as usual Pity about the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. There's an Earl of Sandwich Motel in town. Of course I call my hubby the 'Earle of sandwiches' cause he loves them too. hahahaha

      Delete
  6. You sent me to the on-line dictionary when you used the word quahogging. I guessed what it meant from the pictures, but it never hurts to look things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget the all important correct pronunciation. It's CO-hog, not KWA-hog. lol

      Delete
  7. so beautiful.. love to visit the place..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I grew up in this town. :) Someday you'll need to visit the east coast.

      Delete
  8. I love your tours. Thanks and Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Jane! Hoping to get out more too!

      Delete
  9. Looks like it was a lovely outing despite the cold weather. It is fun to explore, take the path less traveled and discover things.

    Sad about the big, old willow tree, nature has to make so many sacrafices to accommodate humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We 'old timers' don't like the direction our hometown is taking or the nonstop tax hikes (I'm just glad we live in Bourne now). All the new people are trying to change everything. So none of us were happy about the tree coming down.

      Delete