Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

January 9, 2017

Holy Crap on a Cracker!

Well we had our first real snowstorm of 2017.  Blizzard really.  It hit Cape Cod worse than any other part of Massachusetts.  

I took this Saturday night (Jan 7) as the storm was well underway.  I tried to keep the deck outside the door, step and path to the generator cleared throughout the day and night.  At least the snow is light and fluffy.  There was a little wind but not much, so the power stayed on.  The generator was ready though, just in case.


Woke up to sunny, clear skies and really cold temps.....and 24" of snow.  Eek.

Russell had backed his truck way up on the grass in case the generator needed to be jumpstarted.  At least he has four wheel drive.  He was able to power right through and get down the driveway.




I pooped out trying to clean off the car!  I've learned to flip the wiper blades to the up position for storms.  

I will admit that fresh, pristine snow is lovely, especially when the sun is coming up.

The roads were already plowed.


We have an awesome and reliable plow guy who showed up right after I took these pictures.  I can now get out of the driveway no problem.  Russell moved the vehicles out to the road so that the snow could be pushed up all the way.






That is one big plow pile.



The snow is defying gravity on top of the hand truck.




The forecast for the rest of this week calls for rain and temps in the 40s and 50s, so this should be mostly gone, thankfully.  I can handle snowstorms as long as we get a meltdown after a few days.  It's just that in 2015, it literally never stopped snowing for a month!  That was a bit much to handle but this is enjoyable when I don't have to be anywhere!

22 comments:

  1. Oh I don't think we've ever had snow like that! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! You are more than welcome to have our snow storms!

      Delete
  2. Boy did you ever get a snow storm. I am complaining about a few centimeters. Love the pictures. Isn't it incredible how snow can build up like that without any apparent support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I'm eager to see this melt.

      Delete
  3. I will say that's mighty pretty, in one breath, and thank God it's going to melt soon, in the next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! People are driving like jerks today. The side roads weren't plowed very well either.

      Delete
  4. That is a lot of snow but the sun gleaming looks so pretty. And you are plowed and ready to roll. In TX no plowing, no shovels. We would be paralyzed. Lots of folks do not have real winter coats etc. Hope your winter cooperates for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like this to be it too. I saw a funny meme on FB of that Viking guy with 'Brace Yourself Winter is Coming. Now. All in One Weekend.' hahaha

      Delete
  5. East coast storms and West coast arctic winds helped by La Nina. It's just the weather letting us know it's in control, and we puny humans can just deal with it. Great pix JoJo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DG! I learned that Ma Nature just doesn't care about 2 months after arriving on the west coast when we had the Loma Prieta earthquake in San Francisco. Needless to say my cavalier scoffing of, 'oh please, I'm not worried about quakes. The last one was 1906 so...' was knocked down a peg or two.

      Delete
  6. I must say that Mother Nature is very artistic - love the way she made cute snow-caps on things like birdbaths and fence posts. Sort of look like garden gnomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the Coneheads. hahaha

      Delete
  7. I've always wanted to see snow falling. All I've seen so far is snow on Lake Tahoe grounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty and I don't mind it as long as it melts quickly.

      Delete
  8. oh no!!! this much snow!!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...just a bit of overkill. lol It's starting to melt though.

      Delete
  9. I was fish-tailing something crazy last weekend! We're down in the 4-5 degrees here .... but will swing up to the 50s in a few days. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today feels like a heatwave compared to yesterday! It's in the mid 30s today. Yesterday it got up to a blistering 14.

      Delete
  10. Wow - I think I got goosebumps looking through these photos. You're right - pristine snow is gorgeous. Please stay safe and and warm or at least, not terribly cold. Lots of layers, hot cocoa, making Russell keep you warm...=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! I was really glad that he didn't have to go out that day. The roads are still pretty bad though. I saw a pick up truck really far down in a ditch today. Not just off the road but down below in the trees. lol

      Delete
  11. Anonymous11:41 AM

    Wow! You guys got a TON of snow! We got a couple of feet - maybe - and a state of emergency was called. We are so not equipped for big snow out here altho you would think we would be. - Amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised Idaho isn't more prepared for snow. Luckily this was melted after a couple of days.

      Delete