Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

December 21, 2015

Christmas Craft Bucket List

I've been coping with some horrible stress by doing Christmas crafts like a crazed maniac.  Which is a good way to spend my time, glitter-spillage and craft room upheaval not withstanding.

So I dipped into my 'Crafts to Make: Holiday' Pinterest board and browsed around.  There was a gorgeous birdbath done with multicolour large glass balls.  My birdbath is really small, so I got one large ball & a couple packages of smaller silver balls at The Christmas Tree Shop, snipped off some greens from the yard and put this together.  I had the metal sleigh already.


I keep seeing these gorgeous, elegant bottle brush trees on Pinterest and try as I might, I just can't get them to come out looking very elegant.  Oh well.  They are still pretty.  The left one has lots of coloured glass pearls and beads.  The right one has small metal roses.

No box is safe from my altered art endeavors.



This was actually an Altoids tin Pinterest project that I followed almost to the letter. I couldn't find a super decorative top, or something to put on the bottom as a display stand.  It took forever to find that Currier & Ives picture.  There was a time when this image was used on Christmas cards, but not anymore.  

I went a little nutty with the jar crafts.  I had to sacrifice an unopened bottle of pickles too (they are in a baggie in the fridge!).  The two center ones are plastic jar ornaments I got at AC Moore, and the far right is a smaller jar I had in my stash.

I really like how this one came out, despite the giant and not-to-scale cardinal

Jar ornament.

Recreating the vintage look with the plastic tree and old pixie. I have since added a tiny wrapped package to the elf so it looks like he's holding it.

Battery operated lantern.

Won't do these again....just did them to get them off my list.  I shouldn't have used one sided pattern ribbon on the tree on the left.  The tied ribbon is also a pain and won't stay horizontal without glue and doublestick tape.  My heart wasn't in these.

I still had a couple small wine bottles left over so I put some foam snowflake stickers on it before spraying.  I got a little too much paint on the front and some of it leaked into the front snowflake.  

This one was kind of a pain.  The bottle was very thick and hard to drill.  Then I only had a strand of 50 multicoloured lights which were hard to stuff into the narrow bottle.  It looks good though.

This was another one I saw on Pinterest.  Doing a scene in a large vase with white lights under glitter snow.  I've since tweaked this to add more snow and try to stabilize the elements so they don't tip over so easily.


Not that this is a craft, but I wanted to try out a cranberry cake recipe.  I had my doubts since I've never seen a baking recipe that didn't include baking powder and/or soda, and salt.  This came out so good that it was hard to resist eating it nonstop.  I sent a huge piece over to my inlaws just to keep it out of my house!  

Last one and I was running out of steam and inspiration so I wasn't really happy with it.  The frame was a bitch to spray paint.  I had to put those large rhinestones on to cover up some errors.  The postcards didn't fit the openings so I had to back them with paper and I didn't do a good job lining them up.

Taking a quick break but will be back to cross stitching and stuff soon.  Too busy baking for Christmas Day now!

10 comments:

  1. Boy have you ever been busy. Some very attractive things there. Only thing, won't the birds need the bird bath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! No one uses bird baths in the winter. And I mean both people and birds. The water will freeze, expand and crack them apart (if you have a cement one). I'm not sure what it will do to my plastic one but I keep emptying the rain out of it in case we get a freeze.

      Delete
  2. Oh these are lovely. My four year old granddaughter loves crafts and she would be in heaven at your house. We've been making Christmas cards but I wish I had seen these. I love the jars with figures inside,I reckon I could make something like that at any time of the year just find what I can put inside for her. You are so creative, you should have your own craft shop and run workshops as well as selling all the crfts things and lots of fancy glass,I bet you would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anne! I wish I could have my own craft shop but we don't have the initial capital to start it. And there are sooooo many shops like that around here that the competition would be really difficult. Plus it's hard for me to part with a lot of these crafts. lol

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:02 PM

    I love how you decorated that birdbath as well as that bottle with the different colored lights, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lon! We had a rain storm a week ago and the good news is that the glitter didn't wash off the balls but the bad news is they floated out of the birdbath and were all over the ground. hahaha It's fixed now though.

      Delete
  4. I especially love your crafts with little figurines, and the ones with lights.

    I've saved a bunch of greeting cards. I cut them up and use them for decorations too. I agree - they don't make cards like they used to.

    Merry Christmas, JoJo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! Merry Christmas to you as well. :)

      Delete
  5. I just love all your craft ideas. I like the vase scenes the best. so cute.... Have a wonderful Christmas you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too Lady Jane!

      Delete