Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

September 22, 2015

Beach Therapy

Now that beach stickers or parking lot fees are no longer required, I am free to resume my beach combing endeavors until next spring.  Headed over to Scusset late one morning on my way home from Plymouth.  I thought I was going to hit the end of low tide but it had already started coming back in.  I was surprised to see so many people still sun worshipping.  I thought I'd have the place to myself.  


It was crystal clear but the fog horn over there on the breakwater was sounding every few minutes.


The water photo bombed this picture and ended up making it better than if it was just wet stones.

Lots of 'dump ducks'.



Tons of tiny clam shells at the tide line.

I actually made a terrible error with them.  As you can see in the above pic, and the one below this one, several of the shells are open.  I assumed the clams had been eaten by the gulls.  I scooped up a whole bunch of shells to bring home to do crafts.  After I got home, I dumped everything in my baggie into a colander to rinse.  Only then did I see the clam shells closing on their own.  I realized, oh crap, they are still alive.  I felt horrible.  I frantically texted Russell to ask if they would still live if I got them into the water at the beach near my house and he said they would, so Operation Clam Rescue 2015 was put into action.  Drove down to the beach and dumped them into the water there.  I hope they survive.


Gentle waves.


It was so hot on the beach that I was tempted to just go in the water fully dressed.  But I didn't.




Here comes my yacht!



Heading into the Canal.  I wonder if it went all the way through or stopped at the Sandwich Marina.


Not much glass....I didn't expect to find any at all, but I got 5 pieces.  The olive and white ones were very nice pieces.  And cobalt blue, no matter how tiny, is always appreciated.  


20 comments:

  1. Now I'd have eaten the clams. Lovely pictures as usual. It is so beautiful where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Well it's not the Pacific Northwest but it is very pretty here. You wouldn't have gotten much if you'd eaten the clams! lol

      Delete
  2. You got a nice variety of colors there.
    It's frustrating - isn't it? - when you're so hot you want to jump in, but you're fully dressed?
    Keep a smile, JoJo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should've just done it. hahaha Thanks! Hoping to find more glass whenever I get a break from a life that's become beyond stressful and hectic.

      Delete
  3. The stones are pretty. The gulls are adorable (and probably annoying). The clams are amazing. The water is both serene and moving (emotionally). Your photos, as usual, are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's a reason we call the gulls 'dump ducks'. lol The water looked absolutely delicious. Russell said I probably killed the clams when I attempted to keep them alive with water from my faucet cause it was fresh instead of salt. Their shells were shut tight so hopefully I got them back in the salt water before they died.

      Delete
  4. lovely pics, and vicarious trip to the beach - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your clam story. I used to be so careful when I'd pick shells up to make sure there were no hermit crabs in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been lucky that except for this day, all the shells I picked up were empty. People are buying hermit crabs from pet shops as pets. I had a neighbour in CA that had one.

      Delete
  6. You are so lucky to live so close to the beach. If I did, I would be there every single day, either for a walk or just to watch the surf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to as well but life keeps getting in the way. Or tourists.

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are wonderful. I love trips to the beach, I just wish I could go more often... :)

    Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee! Having grown up here, I could never live in a landlocked state. The Great Lakes aren't even a real substitute for salt water. I've lived in four states, all coastal - Mass., Maine, CA and WA State.

      Delete
  8. Oh that's so gorgeous! So much lovely, lovely water!

    I, too, probably would have heartlessly eaten the clams, possibly while reciting The Walrus and the Carpenter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The clams were the size of my fingernail. You'd have to eat them by the handful and the shells are too fragile to pry open and shuck the dot of meat out, so you'd have to eat them shells & all. lol

      Delete
  9. pretty, pretty ,pretty , I`d be going every day to find them too, such a beautiful, peaceful place..Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Scusset. It's a great beach. It's even better when I can have the place to myself for an early morning low tide. That's the best time to find glass.

      Delete
  10. Dump ducks! They'll soon be coming up the Thames for the winter, pushing up my duck-feeding bill by miles! Some people fear them, some just hate them. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be a nuisance around coastal outdoor restaurants. One plucked a sandwich right out of my dad's hand at a restaurant in Tiburon, California. Flew off with it...he was shocked. I was crying from laughing so hard. I don't mind them on the beach though.

      Delete