Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

February 1, 2007

Punxsutawney Phil

Bryde did a great post in celebration of Imbolc, which is today, so I'll do one for Groundhog Day, which is tomorrow.

From Wikipedia: "Groundhog Day is a traditional festival celebrated in the United States, Canada and parts of Australia (particularly in South Australian, in the region in and around the capital city of Adelaide) on February 2. It is a cross-quarter day, midway between the Winter Solstice and Vernal Equinox.

In traditional weather lore, if a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day and fails to see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If the groundhog sees its shadow because the weather is bright and clear, it will be frightened and run back into its hole, and the winter will continue for six more weeks."

Here in the States, the official groundhog is Punxsutawney Phil, from Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. Here's the official website: http://www.groundhog.org/ He'll come out of his burrow at Gobbler's Knob tomorrow to make his prediction.

Punxsutawney held its first Groundhog Day in the 1800's and the first official trek to Gobbler's Knob was made on February 2, 1887.

Isn't he cute?


Punxsutawney is in Western Pennsylvania, but Gobbler's Knob is in Central PA.
This is a stuffed toy of Phil (yes, Brian, I want one). As for me, it's been a rough winter in the Pacific Northwest, so I wouldn't mind if Ol' Phil didn't see his shadow. However, now that we have the generator ready to go, I also wouldn't mind at least one really good storm!

6 comments:

  1. What a cute little groundhog!I will be watching the results of his scamper out of the den....maybe he won't see his shadow!

    Most of my snow is melted now,which is fine with me!Now watch....when Spring solstice comes I will be a spacebrain and forget it!I will try ot to though!Hell,I look most forward to daylight savings time,which is the day after my birthday!I love those long spring and summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bryde! I'm just the opposite of you, I live for the fall and winter (my b-day is in late Nov.). Washington State is so far north that on a sunny, clear evening, you can see the remnants of the sunset at 11:30 pm at summer solstice, then dawn starts at about 3:30. I prefer it dark and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind summer nights....not at all but when it is cold AND dark...maybe it is my Capricorn Moon...I get very...well Capricorn like....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:36 PM

    Happy Celtic Valentines! <3


    Er, equivalent, that is.

    I know, "Kathleen, you are such a loser with your pagan holidays..." :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great post! i love this:) so, i hadn't heard, and i'm late, did he see his shadow or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:18 PM

    He didn't!

    SPRING TOMORROW!

    Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete