Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

October 16, 2018

West Barnstable

Hubs and I make a really great touring team cause he likes to drive around and will take me anywhere I want to go for photos.  We are finally getting some gorgeous fall weather so he took me for a drive around West Barnstable on Rte 6A.  Our first stop was Sandy Neck Beach.  It was high tide.  I didn't do much beach combing as it's not a good beach for glass at all and never has been.  


It was such a perfect day.



Then we stopped at the West Barnstable Train Station.



There used to be a model train club in one of the cars, I think the caboose, back in the 80s.  I don't know if they still do or not.


In the parking lot.

Looking west.  Incidentally these tracks are the ones that go over the Canal and over the Buzzards Bay RR Bridge, where I live.  

Cute luggage cart outside the station.

Next we went further down 6A and turned down Rendezvous Lane.  There is a tiny parking lot at the end and town access to the marshes.  We saw a few people bringing their canoes down.  Across the water is the neck part of Sandy Neck.




Then we went to Millway Beach.  Again, Sandy Neck Beach across the water.

Access to those cottages and the lighthouse is restricted to the owners only.




Mattakeese Wharf.



Maraspin Creek



Our last stop was a dirt road called Navigation Way.  Russell used to hunt here and it's one of his fave spots, although he was quite disappointed to see 'No Hunting' signs on the trees now.  But we drove down to the end anyway.

A few years ago we were able to get pretty close to that cottage which sits above the marshes on stilts.  The road was all but washed away with what looked like a very deep puddle and we didn't want to take the chance of trying to get through it.  

Said puddle.  And marsh mud is some of the stickiest stuff you will EVER encounter.

We rounded out our morning junket with nachos for lunch at the British Beer Company in Sandwich!

2 comments:

  1. You are lucky to have such a great driver/hubby and wonderful scenery. I revel in the glory of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I constantly thank him for indulging my photography and shopping whims. I do appreciate his patience. haha

      Delete