Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

October 18, 2018

Wellfleet & Cape Cod National Seashore

Continuing on with our attempts to get out and do more stuff that isn't the regular mundane 'adulting', we took a drive up to Wellfleet and the Cape Cod National Seashore.  I wanted to go back and shoot the creepy looking Masonic hall on a cloudy day too.  It may look cloudy and cool but it was actually very warm and humid.  Again.  

Uncle Tim's Bridge


It'd be neat to get this shot with more dramatic clouds but the effect I was going for still worked.

I thought this place would be more decked out for fall but apparently the Masons aren't down with that.


Wellfleet Harbor



Next we went to the National Seashore, to the Marconi Site where the first one-way wireless transmission to England was made in 1903 (but in 1901 he was able to contact Newfoundland).


The radio transmission antennas weren't up for too many years due to erosion which continues to be a problem up there.  Lighthouses have had to be carefully moved inland a few times, but the cliff's edge moves back too.  

I was last at this place in 1974 and there was still a concrete platform that was left.  Now it's gone. 





It's a fairly wild/desolate area and there are quite a few fences up prohibiting people from going up on the dunes. I would think it would be obvious but some people would do it anyway.  It's a long drop to the beach below.

The Atlantic.





6 comments:

  1. that Mason building looms - very formidable. Love the red doors on the other site. And shore pics...aah.....
    I'm enjoying your trips, but what was for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got sandwiches at a local deli in Eastham. I had tuna and he had ham & cheese!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Is it just me or does that place have a bit of a Bates Motel feel? Don't get me wrong, it's lovely, but the way you shoot, yep, you nailed it perfectly - creepy. :) Ah, the beach. I can't get enough! Even though the temps are falling, I still love it!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely looks like Bates. Thank you Elsie! It sits up on a hill so it's very imposing. I wouldn't want to make the climb up those stairs very much.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful place, i love those houses. And pictures are amazing.
    My New post | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shweta! I hope you get to visit Cape Cod someday!

      Delete