Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

September 6, 2018

Hershey's

The next morning, we left Shartlesville (tee hee) and headed to Hershey's.  Yes the irony of the two slang names occurred to me. (snort)


The street lamps look like wrapped and unwrapped kisses.


We got there just before they opened at 9 and it was a good thing cause the place was mobbed when we finished the tour.

Reminds  me of the 'WONKA' smokestack in 'Willie Wonka'

Lots of people had the 'get there when they open' idea too.  We hung back and let all the kids go in first since they were clamoring at the door when it opened.





We took the free tour which is a car that goes through the factory with a screen that dispensed information for each section.  There was very, very loud with music too.  I'd also done this tour on that trip in 11th grade and it was not near as fancy as it is now (again, nearly 40 years ago).  It was a bit of 'sensory overload' for me but I'm so glad we did it. 

Talking animals and so forth would also pop up as you passed.



I was snapping so fast my camera couldn't keep up.  I should've set it to 'sports' but by the time I thought of it, we were almost through.

I am fairly certain this is all simulated even though it's behind glass.  When I went 40 years ago, it was a tour past the real factory windows.

Pretty sure that's not really pressed chocolate.

There were a couple of psychedelic tunnels so of course I had to start singing, 'There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going..." 


A view of the gift shop, which was packed by the time we left.  I wanted to buy tons of candy but we would into the melting issue in the hot truck whenever it was left for any length of time.  I got the boys souvenir shirts and a plastic champagne bottle of kisses for Casi & Jeff.

But boy was I tempted to load up on candy.  They gave us free mini chocolate bars as we exited the tour.

I was surprisingly good in the Twizzler's area as I love them. Plus it was only 9:30 and the thought of loading up on chocolate and sweets at that hour made me a bit queasy.



We were fortunate to get parking really close to the entrance, but these trolleys are necessary to ferry people from the far lots.

One last look at the factory.

Back on the road.  Loved shooting this bridge over the Susquehanna River, just south of the state capitol of Harrisburg.  


Did not, however, like the look of those clouds.

6 comments:

  1. I remember the old walk through the plant tour, back before health standards. Peering into vats of chocolate, watching the rolls of Hershey Kisses on a conveyor belt. And the smell of chocolate permeated everything. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a walking tour when I went in 1981, it was definitely in a little car on a track but it wasn't this fancy and I'm pretty sure you could see inside the real factory. Still though, this was awesome!

      Delete
  2. Fun place to visit JoJo. I would have wanted to load up on chocolate too. I love milk chocolate kisses and Matt used to enjoy the dark chocolate ones but you can't get those in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the dark kisses as wedding favours when we got married, cause the wrappers were purple. I would love to have loaded up but honestly, it would have melted. It was just really neat to see it all in one place!

      Delete
  3. Mmmmmm....twizzlers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them! But I didn't get any.

      Delete