Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

September 8, 2018

Gettysburg, Part 1

Gettysburg was only about an hour or so from Hershey, so we drove down to check it out.  The skies opened up and it started raining off and on for several hours.  We found a parking spot in the historic downtown area.  Russell made himself comfy at a local pub while I went around shooting pics.  It was a VERY fast walk, with me ducking under awnings and doorways when I needed to.


There is a traffic circle at this end of town but oddly it's known as Lincoln Square.



The architecture was awesome!



This isn't the one Russell was at.









These lit Christmas scenes are amazing.  And expensive.  Upwards of $2,500.00. 



Inside the pub Russell was in....exquisite stained glass lamp shades.



Something tells me that when Union & Confederate soldiers were slaughtering each other, someday a gift shop called 'Blue & Grey' would open on what was probably a battlefield in the 1860s.

12 comments:

  1. Great road trip! I love the buildings. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the town of Gettysburg - very cute. I do remember visiting the battlefield. I also remember as a kid, we stayed at a Howard Johnson's motel that had a pool!!! Always a highlight of any trip - getting to swim. Oh the memories of kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't go to the main battlefield but pretty much the entire area was a battlefield.

      Delete
  3. We made the trip to Hershey park with a trip to Amish country 30 years ago and visited some of the same spots. You brought back some lovely memories. Enjoy... Hugs, lj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents did that trip with me in 1981 too. We did Bushkill Falls, Amish country which I thought was sooooo boring, and then we went to Hershey to placate me. Then to the King of Prussia Mall cause I was going crazy without a record and bookstore on that trip.

      Delete
  4. Was there a town there when the battle was fought? Or have things just been built on battle areas?

    Interesting place with a lot of history attached. Mind you I would have been in the pub with Russell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The town was there....the buildings date to the late 1700s and 1800s, but all around the town are battlefields. I was wondering how many artifacts were found when modern homes were built.

      Delete
  5. What a great trip.. it's a feast of eyes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krishna! So much more to come!

      Delete
  6. Wow! The architecture is incredible (as are those stain glass lights)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it hadn't been rainy I would've walked around a lot more. I loved the lights!

      Delete