Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

September 3, 2018

On Our Merry Way!

We decided there was no reason to kill ourselves driving out to OH so we started a couple of days early and wended our way through the states, stopping to do and see stuff.

The trip started off in hellish traffic leaving MA into RI. After we got past that spot it wasn't too bad.




Since our first stop was the Poconos, it was way easier to go over the new Tappan Zee Bridge.  If we can avoid having to go the George Washington Bridge, we'll gladly do that.  


First stop in the Pocono Mountains was Raymondskill Falls.

It was a short hike down to the viewing platform.  Russell opted to wait for me about halfway along the trail.

Definitely worth the hike!

This is the top half

And the bottom half.

Next stop was to take a pic of the Delaware River.  That's New Jersey on the other side.


Next was Bushkill Falls.  I'd been here when I was in 11th grade with my parents and I didn't remember it being THIS big and THIS touristy.  Of course that was nearly 40 years ago!!

Russell again opted to wait for me while I went on a short hike to take pics of 'The Niagara Falls of Pennsylvania'.  When I went as a kid, I had no problem hiking around the many stairs and platforms that go all the way down to the bottom and back up again.  Needless to say I wasn't about to attempt it.  The easiest trail was hard enough.  Plus I was still recovering from the hike down and back of the other waterfall.



This water fountain cracked me up.

He's so patient as I browse the shops and take pics.  He was just happy to people watch!



We continued west for awhile, finally stopping about 7:30pm in a town called Shartlesville, which name really cracked me up.  We were calling our hotel 'Bates Motel'.  It wasn't very comfortable and it was way overpriced but also the only hotel in the area so they can charge what they want.


First time I've ever seen a hotel front office that you can't actually drive to the front door.

*cackle*


4 comments:

  1. PA is so darn pretty. Made me want to go re-visit places from my childhood. You two have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time! I've pretty much fulfilled my PA bucket list except for the Flight 93 memorial which we will stop and see the next time we go out.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:07 PM

    Ugh, the traffic in NY. Just seeing the words George Washington Bridge makes me cringe. Yet my favorite bridge is still the Verrazano-Narrows, the one that connects Staten Island to Brooklyn. Just love it! Have a great trip and be safe out there!!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we're already back. lol Just trying to post the pics to catch up.

      Delete