Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

September 18, 2013

First Pics With the New Camera

I still have a lot to learn on the new camera but it's a lot like my Pentax so I just decided to go out and shoot some pics.  This is the first one I took, at my house, the morning of September 9.  Putting the strap on the camera took way longer than it should have, and I headed out for a walk to town in the early afternoon.

Businesses come and go, but this part of town has remained largely unchanged in the way it looks from when I was a kid.



The Port O'Call.....Buzzards Bay's finest establishment.  It's got a reputation as a very rough and tumble bar, and for awhile it was under the control of a local biker gang.  It's also the closest bar to Mass Maritime Academy. I would have to assume that the bikers and cadets didn't mix well.  

Tents were going up in the park for the annual Scallop Festival.

My pics are a little washed out on the landscape setting so I need to work on that.






Then I tried out the zoom lens.  I love it.  Way better than my other zoom.  My only complaint is that the button to release the lenses is on the left side and that's not intuitive to me because I've shot exclusively with Pentax since the 1980s and their button is on the right.  I fumble a lot and a quick lens change is not possible at this time.  I'm glad I found that out before I go on any whale watches!  



These clouds were so unusual. I see the profiles of people in them, facing left.




This is looking down into a pit or cellar.



I love this house.  I would give anything to live there!!!!

Very pretty homes in my neighbourhood.



 

12 comments:

  1. Great shots JoJo! I have to practice with my zoom lens more. I've only used it once (at the MN Zoo) in 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A camera is only a tool, my dear. The art comes from the user of the tool--YOU. Your photography is art.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are having a lot of fun with your new camera. Enjoy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic cloud shot,good camera eye, JoJo.

    There's something about peeling paint that looks poetic, except I wouldn't think that, if it was my home. Just wondering what brand of camera has the clicker (the shutter/lens release) on the left side. My camera and all my cameras,too, have been on the right. Weird. Enjoy getting to know the new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice pictures, and a scallop fest sounds delicious.

    Keep enjoying, Jo Jo.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! Scallops! The pictures came out great, JoJo. I like the clouds too. They almost look like footprints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JoJo,

    I have just had the visual treat of clicking on your photos to make them bigger. Considering you only have started using your new camera, you have done a fantastic job. Well done and happy photographing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got some nice captures there! I especially like the old green door!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! I guess i'm my own worst critic when it comes to my pics. I'm expecting Ansel Adams perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying not to be envious of your new camera. I would love, love, love a nice camera. The bird photo was excellent! I loved the peeling green painted door pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! I've yet to experiment with my new camera as well. What camera did you get? My Nikon D5100 has too many toys to play with. I need to just escape for a day and do my street photography. I love taking candid shots of people, nature, and sceneries. I also need to play with my Lightroom 5. Ah, I just need more time to do all the things I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures look wonderful. I really love the photos of the old window and the aged, weathered wood - very rustic yet beautiful.

    Yes it takes time to adjust to new things, I always hate it when
    we upgrade Windows - everything changes and looks different and I can't find what I'm looking for. Guess we are creatures of habit.

    ReplyDelete