Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

October 25, 2018

Longfellow's Wayside Inn, Sudbury

Our fourth and final stop was Longfellow's Wayside Inn, which dates to the early 1700's and is the original building.  You can still stay there and the downstairs is a restaurant in all the different rooms.  It's quite lovely. So was the foliage.


Barn across from the Inn.


Inside the barn.




I believe George Washington and probably some of his men stopped here.



I never read this book but maybe I will now that I've been here.  However, to be honest, I find almost all 'classic literature', both American and British, to be extremely boring and dry. 

There is one room downstairs where you can view period pieces as it looked in colonial times.


This is upstairs.  I assume this is a function room and still in use.

Sitting room for overnight guests on the second floor.


Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

This is an embroidery of the beginning of the Revolutionary War which of course started in this area.
 

The workmanship was amazing.

Behind the inn.




Saw this in town on the way out of Sudbury and thought it was a cool looking building.  That's the reflection of Russell's hand on the steering wheel.  😁

 We pulled over so I could get some shots of this tree.  It was gorgeous.

Reservoir across the street.


Foliage on the way home
 

I give this part of Sudbury two thumbs up.  It's beautiful and quite a sight in the fall.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 AM

    I give that part of Sudbury two thumbs up too. That foliage is gorgeous. Ours is delayed because of all the warm weather we had. I'm thinking it may just fall off and die because we went from extreme heat to extreme cold. Longfellow's looks like a fun trip!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elsie! Ours just started to peak here on the Cape which is extremely late.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! the reflection on the pond looks very mesmerizing.. And the embroidery.. wow! What a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krishna! It was a great trip!

      Delete
  3. I'll add my two thumbs too. Wow - stunning. And I want to visit Longfellow's Inn. Of course growing up in PA, George Washington was everywhere. And we'd joke that Betsy Ross slept everywhere too.
    Absorb that history and colonial vibe. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny but the first time I lived here I couldn't have cared less about the history. I was like, 'pilgrims, revolutionary war, blah blah blah'. haha Now I want to see these tourist sites!

      Delete
  4. That must be quite the experience to stay there.
    I wonder how much history those beautiful trees have witnessed too.
    Great post, JoJo. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! I wonder if the place is haunted?! I would love to take a metal detector around the grounds but that's probably frowned upon esp if I start digging! haha

      Delete