Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

August 11, 2018

Flowers & Books

Sheila & I spent a fun morning and early afternoon exploring an old cemetery, Parnassus Books and the Edward Gorey House.  The flowers we saw in and near the cemetery on Rte. 6A in Barnstable Village were so beautiful!


















I hadn't been in Parnassus since before I moved out west nearly 30 years ago, and I was pleased to see that not much has changed, although in my memory it was painted yellow.  Maybe it was in the 80s.



Still had that awesome 'old book smell'.  They sell quite a few first editions so this place is not a 'cheap used bookstore' by any stretch of the imagination.



To be honest, it was overwhelming.  And hot.  Soooo hot.  They had fans blowing all over but it was still uncomfortably humid.

Old tin ceiling.


I've bought books here just for the cool covers, although I didn't buy this.






I found these two little beauties near the front of the store.  Had to have them.  No idea if they are worth anything as I couldn't find any publication dates inside.


Parnassus Book Service is well worth a stop if you ever find yourself tooling around Rte 6A in Barnstable/Yarmouth.

8 comments:

  1. Outstanding photos of flowers. Photos of books are so charming and interesting. Really amazing job. :) Have a nice weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Agnieszka! Have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers!
    I often remember things being a different color ...
    Awesome book store, love the old tin ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so overwhelming to try and look for anything. It's cool to see though.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Enjoyed seeing the colorful flowers!
    Huge collection of books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely flowers. The hydrangeas particularly. I tried so hard to grow those in NC but never could, everyone else did though.

    Love the old books - interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hydrangeas too. I've heard that the PH of the soil determines the colour of flowers.

      Delete