Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

November 21, 2015

Holiday Crafts 2015

I had a bunch of balls leftover from last year so I put this together one weekend.


Also been meaning to try melted crayons inside a glass ball.  The tutorial I first looked at said to break the crayons into 1/2" pieces.  Well, those won't melt.  I had to shave and thinly slice the crayons to get them to melt.  And once they start to melt and run all over, they run together extremely quickly.  This was supposed to just be blue, purple and green.  Can't see the purple.

This is another ball in blue, light blue and light green.  I was trying to cover up an alcohol ink failure (I first started out w/ alcohol ink and it looked awful).

Here's another alcohol ink failure ball that I did with purple crayons since the purple ink didn't totally wash out.

This was to be red, pink, orange and yellow and an example of how they all ran together.  

Another one I wanted to try was glass etching cream with see through stars.  I had to punch the stars out of paper and glue them on, which was fine.  The trouble was with the cream.  My first coat wasn't left on long enough and nothing happened.  I had to wash the first layer of it off which now got the star paper all wet.  I covered the ball with more cream, but it didn't etch at all evenly.  And some of the acid went through the paper and frosted the see through parts.  

The only ball that came out good was the one where I used a glass engraver.  The other side says 'peace'.  I used a stencil and then had to free hand it to thicken the letters.  I'm keeping this one but my stepdaughter wants the other 5 and she's welcome to them!

Started this one at the end of October and finished a couple of weeks later.  I saved the white snowflakes for last, thinking they'd go quickly.  They did not.  But it came out pretty good anyway. This one's not for sale.  I just need to find wall space to hang it this season!

Saw this project on Pinterest and checked out the instructions, mostly to get what kind of paint to use and download the free pattern.  You can get them HERE.  Pretty easy to do, you just can't be real heavy handed when spraying the blue paint or else it'll drip and also be opaque.

Looks nice with a candle.  So much easier than drilling holes in bottles!

Pleased to see so many new, plastic shaped ornaments in the craft stores.  This jar is sweet.  Just remove the lid, glue in your scene, put lid back on.  Boom.  I added the puff paint snow on the outside.

10 comments:

  1. you are just so crafty! are you selling your pieces? you should! you must have enough to fill a store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sell some things but keep others or give them away. I don't have room for a lot of the things I make. I'm keeping the Peace cross stitch and the blue jar/candle. The rest are up for grabs.

      Delete
  2. Pretty. I quite like those balls even if the colours ran. Love the wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Maybe I'll try it again with just a couple of colours, or doing one at a time.

      Delete
  3. Pretty. You must have the patience of a saint! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For crafts, yes. For people, no. lol

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:08 AM

    Well, I have to disagree with you, JoJo - I can see the purple in the first one and I think it looks great, as do all the others. Such talent. I envy you. I couldn't do the first step in any of these. Probably couldn't even snap the crayons in half haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! LOL! You'd be surprised how easy that project is. Just wear an oven mitt to hold the glass ball or you'll get burned.

      Delete
  5. I love all your projects, especially the peace work. I am checking out the deer scene, it looks like fun. I have never done glass etching. I should put that on my craft bucket list. Enjoy your Thanksgiving. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Jane! I like the Armour All etching cream but it's soooo hard to find anymore, and the stencils by that brand. Martha Stewart has taken over. I've never used hers but I haven't been impressed with her other craft supplies. If you meant the glass etching w/ the engraver, you can get the engraver in the 'As Seen on TV' section of stores. I got mine at the Dollar General. It's $10. You need a steady hand, but I like how it came out.

      Delete