Been meaning to try this for awhile, despite seeing so many attempts with bad results, esp. on Pinstrosity. So I decided to give it a whirl one day. I first used a smaller thread size because when I was a kid, I had one of these string eggs and it was made with fine string. I decided to use Mod Podge for one and starch for the other.
First I was entertaining myself with the static electricity.
OK down to business. I spread Mod Podge on the balloon and started winding the string. This was exceedingly messy and a pain in the ass.
Then I used the string and sprayed the starch as I went along. This, too, was extremely messy and by the time I was ready for them to dry, there was glue and starch everywhere.
They took all day and night to dry and when I let the air out of the balloon, both 'eggs' were total fails. The Mod Podge one on the left had clear, dried glue in all the spaces between the threads. The starched one on the right was extremely fragile and just didn't hold up at all.
So then I tried it again, this time using Elmers glue mixed with a little water and placing the yarn bits in it before wrapping around the balloon. This was also extremely messy.
Took all day to dry again, but it's much sturdier than the first ones I tried.
Not a total fail, but I also wouldn't do this again. It's just way too messy.