Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

November 5, 2012

Another Trip to Mashnee Island

Being the greedy little opportunistic beachcomber that I am, all I could think about during Hurricane Sandy was, 'Gee I sure hope the high tide and storm surge pushes more glass onto the beaches in Buzzards Bay.'  The day after the storm I jetted over to mom's to make sure she was situated OK, then came home and was so restless.  I didn't feel like doing anything.  It was warm and kinda humid too, raining off and on.  I checked the tide charts, and low tide was right before 3:00 p.m., so I hopped in the car and drove over to Mashnee Island.  




Lots of snailies today.

Rounded the point at the Canal entrance and was very disappointed to only find a couple pieces of white glass, some of which aren't even that worn.  I took a fairly fresh piece of cobalt blue even though it's not worn down and still sharp.


Stupid golf ball.  I am starting to see a lot of golf balls on the beaches these days.  I'm not sure why but Russell told me sometimes idiots hit them into the Canal.  I took this one with me.

The storm washed the soil away from this tree's roots.







There's an abandoned building at this beach that must have been some kind of clubhouse or restaurant at one time.





Looked like more rain was coming so I left at 3:45 and headed home.

This is the last of the foliage as of 10/30/12.

7 comments:

  1. Wonder how long that tree will last now?

    In recent UK floods an entire block of flats had their foundations washed away, they were staying up on a few concrete piles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photos!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:34 AM

    It's always a joy when you go out for a walk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you weathered the Superstorm alright...
    My former SIL (in NJ) called me this AM: they've been w/out power but have a small generator; no major property damage for them but neighbor down the street lost his house to falling trees.
    I just wish some of that precipitation would make its way out here! I doubt my pastures will ever recover from this drought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, glorious pics, JoJo. I especially like the one with the dark rocks against the cloudy sky and horizon.
    Mina's Resurrection Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something about going out after a storm, things look different and the air seems fresher. Too bad the storm kept most of the sea glass for itself, I suppose you could finish off the sharper pieces in a rock tumbler to soften the edges some . . . but somehow that almost seems like cheating Mother Nature. :)

    Love the photo of the old building with its purple door and sea themed painted walls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, fantastic photos. You really do have a good eye.

    ReplyDelete