Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

June 7, 2012

Button Button Who's Got the Button?

In my neverending quest for new craft ideas, I did another project that I saw on Pinterest, seen here!  

I had a spare bit of canvas leftover from crayon melting and I started working up the idea.  At first, I thought of covering the canvas with colourful fabric.  But the more I chewed on that idea, the less I liked it and opted to break out the watercolour paints and do sunset (or sunrise) colours.


Meanwhile I'd searched on my computer for a font I liked, printed out the word "LOVE" and enlarged the letters so that I could trace them onto the painted canvas.  After I had the letters enlarged, I also worked up a quick prototype just to see what the buttons would look like.

After cutting out each letter I placed them on the canvas for light tracing.


After it was traced, I did the button design again.  I didn't let myself get married to the idea of the buttons that I laid down at all, because once I started gluing them, I made a whole bunch of changes.

Due to a measuring fail on my part, I had to add the buttons on the left border.  I have not decided if I am going to add anything to this or not, i.e. fill-in beads, due to the fact that some of the outlines still show.  I would really love some opinions from you all as to whether I should leave this as-is, or add stuff to make the letters more uniform in their appearance.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this project idea. Another one to add to my favorites bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really dig the colors you used. I also like, in the first photo, how a double row of buttons is used to sort of "fatten up" the letters, a bit.
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:03 AM

    So pretty, I especially love the heart button in the right corner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:34 AM

    You are just endlessly inventive! Well done you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The things you think of!

    Actually, I just found a set of Winnie-The-Pooh buttons in my sewing box, which was a surprise.

    I was also surprised when a former colleague said her husband had a phobia of buttons. Apparently it's not uncommon, and even has a name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how this looks as you did it, especially the colored background. But since you asked... I would add some fill in stuff (the pencil lines showing would always drive me crazy), but it would also add a more random appearance and some extra little surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it turned out great! It looks very cool and the buttons on the side are a nice touch.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful.
    You have literally buttoned up the love quotient.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You amaze me JoJo! The ideas you come up with are all so unique and always look so pretty. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for your kind words. I wish I could take credit for these ideas but it's really Pinterest that gets me thinking!! Maybe I will just lay some beads down on this just to see how it'd look, w/o committing to the glue just yet. I do like the way this looks as-is, but the darn lines still show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beads are a great filler for those vacant spaces. Clustering the buttons also gives more texture. I think you did a super job. I♥buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, by nature is anything but uniform.

    Keep it as is. That's my vote.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your LOVE!!!

    I am thinking of signing up for Pinterest myself. Do you think its worthwhile?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is lovely and so simple I'd like to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. L-O-V-E that! LOL I think it is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a creative idea, I have so many buttons in a little box now might just do something with them now you have given me some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete