Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

February 26, 2012

Mass Maritime

This region is the perfect location for a maritime school.  If you want to be a merchant marine, this is the school to attend.  I'd never been to the campus before and now I live really close so I decided to check it out. 


I see this ship coming and going in the Canal All. The. Time.


This bumpersticker cracked me up.  Take that Skankees fans!!!

Training Ship Kennedy.  This vessel has an interesting background, which you can read about HERE.  

Bourne and Railroad Bridges.  I never saw these from this angle before.




Merchant Marine Memorial

Football stadium.  To be honest, I didn't even know they had a team....they are, apparently, called The Buccaneers. Who knew?

Western end of the Canal.

After I left the main part of campus, I drove around and was surprised to find this little beach.


This is the closest I've ever been to a spinning windmill, this size.  It made an interesting sound that's kind of hard to describe.  These are being built all over the place now, and plans include a large and extremely controversial windfarm out in Nantucket Sound, off Hyannisport and Osterville.  

Lookit 'em go!!!  VRROOOOOM!!!!


I scared the seagulls.  Or, 'dump ducks', as they are known out here.  This reminds me of the lyrics to the Grateful Dead song  Cassidy:  "Flight of the seabirds, scattered like lost words, wheel to the storm and fly..."

They didn't go far.


The beachcombing wasn't that good, mostly shattered shells.  This is actually a shellfishing area for people with the town license to harvest them.  My dad used to go *quahogging somewhere in this area when I was a kid and it might have been to this beach, or one nearby.
*(pronunciation:  'CO-hogging', not 'kwa-hogging').

I look forward to another walk here when the weather warms up!  

5 comments:

  1. Like you, I come from an area with strong maritime links (yep, even in the middle of London, the Thames being such a BIG navigable river) so I am endlessly fascinated by the water. Not very fond of swimming though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very common thing for sailors to love being on the water, but not in it. I'm the same way. I love the ocean and I need to live in a coastal state. I could never live land locked. I love being on boats. Swimming? not so much, unless it's a pool. That whole summer of 75 when Jaws came out, I didn't go farther in the Bay than my ankles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos! I love the snail shot and the footprints. I'm so jealous of your mini walk adventures. I wish I could travel around too in nearby spots like that. I just don't have the time at the moment.

    A Ladybug's Life

    Sonnia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:17 PM

    The UK is probably 'Windmill Central' and will soon be covered in the damn things. I hope the US got a better deal on them than we did, but then only the Brits would sign up to something that costs a fortune, has to be turned OFF when it gets TOO windy, and we then have to pay the owners (non-Brits) for them NOT working. It's like living in a Monty Python sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We call them sky rats here,well others do. I like the gulls. I can't wait to get back home,closer to the ocean,I miss it. Does MA have pirate history?

    ReplyDelete