Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

January 21, 2012

Tie Dyed Cupcakes, Part 1

The other day on Facebook, Kris, of JustKris fame, posted a photo of professionally made cupcakes with beautiful tie dyed frosting.  My eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.  That's when I decided I HAD to find out how to make them.  A simple Google search of 'tie dyed cupcakes' yielded easy instructions, so I went out the next day to purchase everything I'd need to make them.  

Start off with any white or yellow cake mix.  I used white cake.  Make the batter according to the directions on the box.

Line the muffin tin with paper cups

Divide the batter evenly into 6 bowls (one for each colour).

Use liquid food colouring for the batter dying.

Mix the colours per your taste; I used 30 drops of dye per bowl to start out for the red, yellow, green & blue, then added more as needed.  For the orange and purple, I started somewhat conservatively with the dyes and then kept adding to achieve the desired shade.  

I started by layering with the purple at the bottom, and building up in the colours of the rainbow with red on top. I knew I overfilled the first cup.  


After doing 2 with rainbow layers, I started getting a little more creative with them.  This cupcake is only red, orange and yellow.

Then I used a toothpick to swirl it a little.  Don't mix too much or else the colours will run into each other.

Here's a swirly one that's only using blue, green and purple.

With my last bits of batter, I made one that had all 6 colours done in 3 layers.  This is the bottom layer.

And the top.

Ready to go in the oven!!

Cooking away.

A little overflow never hurt anyone.  ;-D

Side view to show the layering effect.


The squeeze isn't much into sweets, especially not icing, so he asked me to save a couple un-iced ones for him.  I was tickled to see that the tie dye effect carried through to the paper! 

Waiting patiently for icing.

6 comments:

  1. Okay okay - you got me there...

    Never in a century of centuries could I have imagined tie dyed cupcakes. They look brilliant - and bet they tasted brilliant too.

    Brilliant stuff!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This takes some getting used to...

    During my first week in the US, my host sister asked me what my favorite color was. I said blue. That night, I got blue pancakes.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay tuned for Part 2, the Icing Extravaganza! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i definitely have to do this with my granddaughter, Lili! She will freak out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:07 PM

    Too pretty to eat!

    ReplyDelete