Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

January 8, 2011

How I Make A Travel Album

I was bound and determined to finish the Victoria album, and I worked on it all New Years weekend.  Sorry about the crappy photo quality!  This is a small sampling of the finished product.  

I was about halfway through it when I realized:  HORROR OF HORRORS!!!   I completely forgot to type up all of the different place captions, that I always do for all photo albums!!!!  How could I forget??  Fer cryin' out loud I've been doing it since the 80's, when I used to have to use a typewriter!!  I nearly brought this entire project to a screeching halt to do them.  I agonized, and I admit to much hand-wringing, internal conflict and debate with myself, but then decided that it was going to take way, way too long.  And besides, I know where I was, I know what are in the pictures and where they were taken...there's really no need to caption them.  

I knew I'd finally find good use for this Canadian flag paper!  I stuck it to the cover of the album.
Photobucket

51 pages, front and back (102 pages!!!!) and 4" thick.  If I had a scale I'd weigh it, b/c it's wicked heavy.
Photobucket

Inside the front cover, I used a piece of glittery paper that says "Off On An Adventure", then stuck my leftover Canadian coins on the cover along with some felt fall leaves and other Canadian-themed stickers.
Photobucket

First page, features my boarding pass, along with the note I left Brian on the kitchen table that morning when I left before he got up. He wrote "Wah!" under it after I left. lol
Photobucket

I like to use travel-themed ephemera on my pages, in addition to stickers and cut up bits of travel brochures.
Photobucket

The hotel brochure on the left is actually stuck onto the outside of the page....
Photobucket

.....so that I can open it up and read what's inside.
Photobucket

Page layout showing some cropped pictures and stickers.

Photobucket

I saved the 2 Woofles doggie treats bags after they were empty, cut them up and put them on the Market Square page.  I also used the map portion of a Market Square brochure.
Photobucket

These are the receipts of my souvenirs, organized by time-stamp.
Photobucket

When I got to the Craigdarroch Castle pics, I cut up the self-guided tour brochure about all of the different rooms and used them alongside the photos of those rooms.
Photobucket

Here's the last page of the album, with my return trip boarding pass, and the note from Brian that I found on the kitchen table when I got home late that night!
Photobucket

One of my travel ephemera bits had a Top Ten Moments list.  It was hard to pare it down to just 10.
Photobucket

I had the back side of the last page to fill up so I used a postcard of Clipper IV and a couple more Canada stickers to complete the album.
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:25 AM

    ..now all you have to do is find somewhere to store it ;0)

    Beautiful work Jojo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I wish I can do some scrapbooking like that.

    http://brownbugz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane - I have ZERO idea where i'm going to put this monstrosity. I literally have nowhere to put it. lol
    My photo albums are taking up the back room.

    Brownbugz - It's pretty easy, but it's time consuming. It takes patience. This album took me hours and hours over the course of 2 weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's beyond organised! I do have a vacancy for a PA if you are at a loose end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous way to remember a trip. How many of these albums do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:36 PM

    That's a work of art! Just beautiful work, JoJo...doesn't it feel good to have everything all organized into one place? I have a ton of scrapbooks and it's taking over space like you wouldn't believe. Though none of them are as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:27 PM

    Fantastic JoJo! I can't believe you got that all done in two weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, you are AMAZING!!
    Its sooo beautiful and professionally done. Damn, you should do this for a living ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible JoJo!...Sadly I would never have the patients to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is way cool! Thats quite the book of memories. Great job!

    ReplyDelete