Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

March 23, 2010

Kalaloch Lodge and Beach

I arrived at the lodge around 11, and was stoked to hear that my room was ready (check in time is 4 pm!). The property is made up of several cabins, the main lodge, and the Sea Crest House, which is where I stayed. A very cozy room, all knotty pine walls and trim. No TV (that's the equivalent of camping for me). I had a view of the water between 2 cabins and a split rail fence. Real cute patio but the sun beat down on it so I didn't kick back out there. I settled in, put on my hiking boots, and headed down to the beach.


To say that the beach at Kalaloch is littered with beach logs is an understatement. They come right up to the stairs that lead down from the parking lot, and you have to gingerly pick your way across and over them, testing each one to make sure it's stable, all the while trying not to get splinters in your hands. I cannot imagine the power it must take for the ocean to toss them that far up on shore like so many Lincoln Logs. I'd love to go storm watching out there some time.

This isn't a place where you can swim, or should swim. Fly a kite, wade up to your ankles, but go no further. And never, ever turn your back on the ocean up here. The beachcombing was OK. Lots of quartz and interesting stones. The surf pulverizes most shells and sand dollars into pieces. No beachglass at all, much to my chagrin. No Japanese glass floats although there was a white plastic one. Tons of little bits of plastic at the high tide line, which was distressing. Bits of nylon rope. Great drift wood, and I found a piece of what looks like volcanic stone. It's very light and full of tiny holes.

Hope you enjoy the shots.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:45 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:46 AM

    Sorry, that was me, having a spelling meltdown!

    This looks like my kind of heaven....all that's missing is someone 6'4", answering to the name of Vincent. We could spend Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter there ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoJo!!!!! You are so wonderful. I feel like Dorothy, when she told the Scarecrow that she would miss him most of all. I really miss blogging with you. How are you? Splendid photos! Your accomodations sound charming. I totally agree with Diane, all ya need is a size 13 to share, um, the knotty pine bed -- hahaha. But something tells me that his feet would hang off the end. Come to think, I betcha his bed is specifically made to accomodate his size. I digrees. Anydoodles, all I can say is that you have the most AWESOME and DYNAMIC time of your life. And don't fret your pretty little head about how hubby will get along without you - although he'll be miserable. Can't wait to see more pics. Lotsa hugs and kisses.

    P.S. Driftwood, driftwood, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Di, imagine hearing that soft voice in the morning, while those big arms enfold you in the cabin bed.....;-)

    Jojo, beautiful, as always. You are so lucky to travel to all these places and I am so lucky to have you share it all with me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great time - just a weekend "away from it all"...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:58 PM

    I DO imagine dear Axe, OFTEN *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the photos! Looks like a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete