Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

August 4, 2006

The Butchart Gardens-A Pacific NW Must-See

The Butchart Gardens are located in Victoria, British Columbia. I've heard several different pronunciations of the name, but the widely accepted one is "Boo-shart".

A former gravel pit owned by the Butchart family, matriarch Jennie Butchart had a vision to create a beautiful garden where once was scarred earth and stone. I visited the Gardens last year on my trip to Victoria and they are absolutely breathtaking!! There is an Asian-themed garden, one with native carved totem poles, an Italian garden (4th photo), ponds, gazing balls, fountains, etc. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Many thanks to Google Images and the people that shot these pictures. My computer is still down at home, and so I have not been able to scan any photos I have taken of my various travels. I hope to be back on the Molly.VDO site next week to catch up w/ my friends!

The black and white photo is a "before" shot, and the photo directly under it is what that same area looks like now.




4 comments:

  1. It was so unpromising - what vision to have seen what it could become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Oh, I've been there! A lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about the Pacific North West and flowers?! They just seem to be more beautiful there.

    I go crazy when the Hydrangeas are in bloom in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete