Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

September 7, 2026

I've Been Everywhere Man!

Russell and I have pretty much completed 95% of my Roadtrip Bucket List.  He's only missing Oregon and Washington DC and I have all Lower 48 plus DC.  There are only a few things left I want to see in Maine, and then there's another long roadtrip I'd love to do through Canada out to the Pacific NW to see all the things I didn't see when I lived there, but it's OK if we never make it.  We're very lucky and blessed to have done and seen as much as we have!!  

We are in the process of relocating so we only did one roadtrip back in late March/early April.  The rest of the year we've been trying to sell and buy at the same time.  To say it's been stressful is an understatement but it should be coming to an end really soon.

In the meantime, this summer I decided to try and rework Johnny Cash's 'I've Been Everywhere, Man!' song.  It took days and days of trying to remember places we've been and making them rhyme but I think I finally got it down.  Every place listed is one we, or I, have been to, and they represent all Lower 48 states and 4 Canadian provinces: 

I was totin' my pack along the dusty Winnemucca road
When along came a semi with a high an' canvas-covered load
"If you're goin' to Winnemucca, Mack, with me you can ride"
And so I climbed into the cab, and then I settled down inside
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand
And I said, "Listen, I've traveled every road in this here land"

I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

I've been to New Mexico, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota
Orlando, Sacto, Winslow, South Dakota
Georgia, Berea, Eureka, Oklahoma
Olympia, Pomona, Orinda, Saratoga,
Bangor, Baltimore, Green River, Harpers Ferry,
Coho Ferry, Cape May Ferry, Mill Bay Ferry, Londonderry,

I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

I've been to Boston, Burlington, Wilmington, Louisiana
Washington, Oregon, Michigan, Indiana
Monterey, Bodega Bay, San Jose, Pepin
Balanced Rock, Church Rock, Shamrock, Joplin,
Tennessee to Chicopee, Cripple Creek, Sebago Lake
Flathead Lake, Mono Lake, Cayuga Lake, for Pete's sake

I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the desert's bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

I've been to Centerville, Monroeville, Nob Hill, Utica 
 Black Hills, Bentonville, Waterville, Pacifica
Rock Hill, Niantic, Mystic, Gulfport,
Lancaster, Vancouver, Winchester, Newport
Capilano, Idaho, Wibaux, Victoria,
Tacoma, Iowa, Sundance, Columbia

I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the desert's bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

I've been to Gettysburg, Gatlinburg, Williamsburg, Portland
Gothenburg, Rexburg, Lunenburg, Vineland, 
 Ann Arbor, Blacks Harbour, Gloucester, Galena
Kadoka, Nebraska, Eureka, Mokena
Cannon Beach, Willows Beach, Second Beach, Kansas City
Cherokee, Daly City, Borden-Carleton, what a pity

I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the desert's bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

I've been everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment