Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

June 7, 2018

The Final Push for Home

While the delay totally sucked, it enabled to pass through PA during the day which was good because there was something I'd seen on the way out that I was sooooo hoping to get a picture of, even if we were on the highway.   

This farm was huge.

I was surprised that the Chesapeake Bay Watershed starts to far west.  Chesapeake Bay is in the Maryland/Virginia/Delaware area.

I have always wanted to see a Mail Pouch Tobacco barn.  It's sooooo quintessentially Americana.  I saw two on the way west which took me by surprise and I was so bummed that I couldn't get pics.  I did make a mental note of the mile markers though.  On the way east I thought it would be impossible, but I had Russell put down the left rear window, I set my camera on sports mode (continual shooting) and when we got close to the mile marker area, I started shooting.  I was soooo happy with how they came out, considering we were doing about 70 mph.


This is the other one, almost covered by trees but I got it!


Twas a long trip home though.



This is coming into New York City, at about 9:30 p.m.

I actually love how these came out.



George Washington Bridge.


NYC from the bridge




We got home at 2:00AM.  We had both been up 43 hours straight and literally collapsed in bed.  It was a wonderful trip though and we can't wait to go back!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Ugh! 43 hours. I think I would've collapsed long before than. Kudos to you for making it that long. The cool thing about driving that late into the city - no traffic, well, not as much traffic. I'm not a big fan of the GWB, but it's better than the Goethals because that is so skinny! It still makes me nervous. And since I'm now thinking of bridges and tunnels and you mentioned VA, have you even driven the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel? Very cool. It's a bridge, then a tunnel, then a bridge and a tunnel again.

    Elsie


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were driving back from FL in 1976, my dad decided to take the Bay/Bridge Tunnel. It was amazing! In fact I think that's where I get my habit of trying to hold my breath from the beginning to end of tunnels. hahaha I'm pretty sure my dad teased, 'We're going under the bay now! Hold your breath' and I decided to see if I could. For the record I could not. And I had one of my friends texting me the GWB conditions too....Russell was afraid it'd be mobbed at 9:30 on a Friday night but Liz texted that it was moving at speed. What a relief. We didn't have the brakes left for stop & go traffic.

      Delete
  2. your night swirl light pics of NYC are great. PA does have some really nice farms and such pretty rolling land. Nifty trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're already planning to go back in August. Hopefully we won't break down this time.

      Delete
  3. Love your photos - I always do! - 43 hours, JoJo??? What the heck? I'm surprised you're still not sleeping! Holy smokes... I am happy you had such a great time with your family. Your grandsons are so stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi!!!! They are cutie pies that's for sure! He went right to bed the second we got in but I had to shower first. We both slept quite a bit....it took days to finally feel normal.

      Delete
  4. As usual great pictures JoJo. I am impressed. I have tried to take pix from the car, didn't know about using the sports setting. What a good idea. Not that we ever go anywhere these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! The idea totally popped in my head about 20 miles from where the barns were. I was so glad I thought of it cause it worked out well. My biggest worry is what the camera was going to choose to focus on cause I didn't have time to do manual. I was lucky it pretty much chose the barns.

      Delete