Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

April 16, 2018

Shellfishing Reconnoiter

Russell got his shellfish license so one morning we drove around, scouting out some of the beds open for digging.  The map in the town guide is really, really bad.  We had to compare it to a map of Bourne that I brought with us.  Pretty sure he has a good idea of where he'll go digging, if the weather ever gets warm.  These first pics are from various locations.








We finished up at Scraggy Neck so I could beach comb at low tide.  It was beautiful out...wind a bit nippy but not freezing.  Looking out towards Cleveland Ledge Light.

The same view, frozen solid, from January 2018.

 The water looked so inviting but for the fact it was ice cold.


I had some fairly decent luck with my beach glass endeavors.

Another shot from January when it was completely silent.  No sound of the water at all.

And back to normal with the awesome sound of the waves.

I am so grateful to my hubby for putting up with my painstaking search for treasure, even though he was really cold and hungry.  We went out for pizza after we left!

Right after I took that I looked at the sand and couldn't believe my eyes.  A beach glass bead.  I was literally dancing around.  This is one of the beach glass holy grail items and was a huge score.  Really one of the finds of a lifetime.

Dramatic skies



Looked threatening but it never did rain.

Once last pic of Cleveland Light before we left.

My treasures for the day.  Russell picked up a bunch of sparkly rocks he thought I'd like.  He knows me so well!

Another shot of the bead.

I hope we get some spring weather cause we're both eager to keep getting out to the coast.  It smells so good and the sounds of the water is very soothing.

27 comments:

  1. Lovely pics. The shellfish adventures should prove enjoyable. Warmer in TX. We will send spring your way. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If it ever gets warm out my husband can finally enjoy himself.

      Delete
  2. A beach glass bead?!?!? How exciting! Lovely jingle shell it looks like you have there as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that was very exciting to find the bead. I was so happy!!! There are so many jingle shells around here. I don't generally collect them unless they are super shiny.

      Delete
  3. Digging for what JoJo? Clams? Certainly quite a haul at the beach and as usual, love all your photos. Stunning. You should publish a picture album of you area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I would love to publish a picture album if there wasn't so much competition with other photographers! Russell will be digging for quahogs and clams. He loves to eat them. I wish I could have a baked stuffed quahog but for that stupid shellfish allergy.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the winter/spring ocean pictures. What a fun find the bead is! I've found a few marbles. I'd like to find an old glass bottle stopper someday. Wandering the shore, listening to the waves and smelling the fresh air is such a great way to spend time, regardless of the treasure haul. Good luck to Russell with the clam digging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I've found 2 marbles. I'd love to find more. When I beachcomb I get into a zen zone and 'put my glass eyes on'. I can't help it. I have to look for treasure! lol And he'll go digging if it EVER gets warm. haha

      Delete
  5. the pictures are so beautiful.. it looks like very arm and inviting.. butI know the water is ice cold now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krishna! By the time our waters warm up it's usually late August. But it's refreshing when it's hot and humid.

      Delete
  6. Never heard of a shellfish license. Interesting. I love that bead you found! Obviously nature made. How cool is that?? And I don't doubt that's a rare find. I envy your views out that way and all of those trips..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was literally dancing around on the beach!!! Oh you have to have licenses for everything here. And there's no reciprocity with the nearby towns so if he wanted to shellfish in Sandwich he'd have to get a sticker there.

      Delete
  7. can't wait to read more shellfish adventures. Should be fun and your pictures are just enticing. I want to be there. But just back from Philly and catching up on posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I'm looking forward to hitting the beaches too. Generally I avoid the beaches in summer but there are lots of small coves where the shellfishing is done.

      Delete
  8. I don't think I've ever heard of a beach glass bead (that was found) ... how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a square red glass one at Glass Beach in Ft. Bragg, CA. Another jewel of my modest collection. I just bought 2 jars at an antique show and one contained a huge hunk of red which I am really excited about. It's beautiful.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:48 AM

    Looks really are deceiving. That water looks so inviting. Like you could just step right on in and swim around...and not freeze. Yeah, right! That piece you found is gorgeous! So happy for you! :)

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elsie! Have you ever been to Lake Tahoe? In summer it's so hot and the water looks so tropical with the greens and deep blue, but it is ice cold. lol It's warm up to your knees and after that, not so much.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:49 AM

      No, I've never been to Lake Tahoe. That water sounds like our ocean though. It doesn't warm up until August...at least to me. I'm a big baby. haha

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pics as usual and love the scenes between frozen and not frozen it shows such a difference between seasons. I was jumping up and down when I saw the beach bead, yay.... you truly lucked out. Hugs, lj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Jane! Yes that bead was quite the score. One of the jewels of my collection.

      Delete
  12. Hang in there! Warm weather is on its way (unless you live in Florida and its already here) There's nothing better than some freshly dug clams. I grew up in Maine and had relatives who were lobstermen so we always a had a pretty good supply of seafood. I miss those days and I envy the adventures you'll have shellfishing.

    BTW, the photos are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mildred! Where in Maine did you grow up? I went to college on Sebago Lake. Russell LOVES Maine. He'd live there if I gave the go ahead. But I don't do black flies and long winters. We can finally start going out now that it's warm.

      Delete