Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

August 31, 2017

Most Miserable Summer Ever

In the 7 summers I've lived here, only 2014 was excellent in terms of beautiful, dry days.  This one was the absolute worst.  The humidity has been off the charts almost every single day.  Add in being sick for over a month and having a great deal of real life stress, this year has sucked out loud.

We did something kinda cool earlier this month.  We went to a storage auction in Wareham cause Russell's addicted to that show 'Storage Wars'.  Fortunately these lockers go for far less than anything on the show.  We bid on, and won, a rather large unit and paid $58 with tax.  So that's not bad at all. Unloading it, however, was another story.  Multiple back breaking trips cause we had to have it empty within 36 hours.  We literally dumped everything in the back yard and covered it with a tarp. Most of the stuff has gone to the thrift shop but we've found a lot of cool things and more than made our money back on it.  The nice patio set alone is worth way more than what we paid. 

Anywho.  I took this pic of an unusual fly which was on the outside of the door, but it looks like it's clinging to the peace sign which is on the inside of the door.


The eclipse was just 'meh' around here.  We had 60% so it got dim, but it wasn't near as impressive here as it was in the states that got totality.  Some of my friends shot amazing photos.  

This hawk flew over as I was waiting for it to get darker.

This chair pattern shows the beginning.

And I had one suncatcher that was positioned perfectly to get a bite taken out.

 This was when it was at it's most coverage in my area, taken through my colander.

This pic got a lot of chuckles on FB.

So sort of dim but just looks like clouds covering the sun.

Dim'ish I guess.  That's the patio set we scored in the locker.  Not too shabby.

A couple pics of Sagan and his puppeh.


My friend Barit, who I have known since kindergarten, was moving and asked me if I wanted a jar of beach glass cause she just had too much.  Is that even a thing?  Too much beach glass? hahaha  We met up for dinner and she gifted me with this huge vase full!!!  Great to catch up and I so appreciate her thinking of me!!

I'd also been wanting to do a Harry Potter sign post so I got out the small soldering iron, sketched out the lettering on some pieces of wood that I'd cut into arrows, and started to burn.  I really love how they came out.....better than I expected.

I've been chipping away at my Grateful Dead bear but they didn't include enough floss in several colours.  I went to Michael's to get what I needed but when I got home, I was just so fed up with the skeins and skeins of floss that were in such a mess that it was easier to buy stuff for projects than try and find it in my stash.  I picked up some bobbins and storage cases and spent a week off and on 'bobbinating' the DMC floss and putting them in numerical order.  Now I can see what I have before I go off and buy one.  For example I have 5 bobbins of black, 4 of Christmas red, etc etc etc

I had to take a break on my Dead bears cross stitch while I bobbinated the floss.  This is the progress as of 8/25.  It's taken me 2 months to get to this point and this shows pages 4 completed (on the left) and the black outlining for page 5.  


Our 3rd wedding anniversary was the 17th but that was the weekend we did the storage locker and we didn't have a chance to celebrate properly, so last weekend we went up to Plymouth to have lunch at the Rio Brazilian Steakhouse.  It was quite good.  Brazilian Churrascaria dining is very popular here. There's a big salad bar and some hot food, buffet style, and then chefs come to your table with freshly barbecued meats of all kinds on skewers, and slice them at your plate.  You have a round thing on the table and green side means you want them to come and red means you are done.  We were stuffed!


Can't believe it's the end of summer already and we are coming into Labor Day Weekend, which is the last gasp for summer tourism here.  We will still get weekenders in September, usually retired folks who skip the summer crowds (but still make weekend travel a challenge for residents).  At least the weather has finally cooled off!

28 comments:

  1. Cool shot that you got of your partial eclipse through your colander. Mine sucked. Oh well.

    Our storage auctions around here are rigged. They get somebody to bid things up. Think we paid over $300 for our last one. (and I do mean last!) What a nice patio set - I could use that, myself!

    Very nice of your friend to bring you that beach glass, thoughtful.

    You have more patience than I to sort and make bobbins of your floss.

    Happy Anniversary! Your dinner sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! So you go to the auctions too? This was our second one. We didn't buy the first time, we just wanted to see how it was done here. There were 7 units up for bid and 3 of them got zero bids. No one wanted to move the huge, filthy couches and mattresses! My stepson was with us and he definitely got a say in what we bid on cause he was the one with the pick up truck and who had to do most of the heavy lifting!!! hahaha

      Delete
  2. We used to have a restaurant like that here JoJo but it was not that popular I suppose, we went once or twice and enjoyed it, but it has close now. Sorry you found it such a lousy summer. I loved the cooler weather we got this year. I think that glass from your friend is pretty just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Looks like our fall weather will be good but my stress level is getting worse. Ugh.

      Delete
  3. Other than your illness, I've enjoyed your summer. Beach, crafts, etc. Your humor shines through. Hope fall is crisp and awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I'm hoping the humidity goes away for good too. I can't function in it.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Omgosh. I LOVE those Brazilian Grills! We have one here called Tucanos and it is FABULOUS! I love their grilled pineapple and the mango fish. - Wow. Nice gift with that beach glass and total score on that patio set! I just love a bargain, especially when it's a surprise like that. Yay you guys! - This year has been uneventful for me but it's not over yet. I've got a wedding and a new grandbaby and those two events may be 2017's saving grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have a busy fall coming up! Are you going back to Michigan for the 2 events?

      Delete
  5. Loved your eclipse pix. What a neat patio set for 58 bucks. Have never been to a storage auction. My hubby watches them all the time. Glad you will lose some tourists and things will settle down around your area. I am sure you will find the sea glass very useful for your great crafts. Also Happy belated anniversary. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Jane! We got a bunch of useable stuff from that auction so we definitely made money on our $58 investment. However, factoring in all the gas it took to empty it, and then bring 90% of it to the thrift shop, it was probably closer to $200.

      Delete
  6. That's great idea of keeping track of he colors of the floss..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't, I can't find a thing! I'd look at the baggies full of skeins and be so overwhelmed that it was easier to buy what my project needed rather than sort through what I had. Now I can see it easily!

      Delete
  7. A storage locker adventure? How cool! And right, too much beach glass?!?!?!?!Here's to a better season for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next time we get a locker I hope it's a lot smaller than this one. And thank you, but so far fall is starting off really really badly.

      Delete
  8. HI JoJo! I love your eclipse shadow pics!!! So cool!! And your cloud photo is, indeed, positively hilarious. What a wild ride that storage container auction must have been. I feel like I shouldn't even tell my husband about it or he'll want to check it out too!! Hehe! Here's to hoping autumn is better for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sept isn't getting off to a very good start but hopefully it'll get better. lol Personally I would like to not do another auction till we have more room for anything we keep.

      Delete
  9. The storage was a bargain indeed, and nice patios set. Wonderful photos and warm greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I had no idea clouds could do that. I have new respect for cloudy skies now, JoJo!

    Mother Nature is not being at all gentle these days. Please stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL So far we are fine, 'natural disaster' wise, but what about you in CA? I hope all is OK for your area!!

      Delete
  11. Dear little Sagan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val!!!!! Yes...he is my little tiny guy. lol

      Delete
  12. Anonymous7:34 AM

    I'd say that patio set was a big score. Good for you guys! We had a pretty good eclipse but to be honest, I wasn't that excited about it. Not sure why.

    I'm so sorry to hear that you've has such a rough summer health wise and dealing with stress. My heart goes out to you. I'm here if you need me. Much love and hugs.


    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elsie. Things have actually gone from bad to worse if that's possible.

      Delete
  13. Hi human, JoJo,

    Oops, only taken me three weeks to get to your pawst!

    It's been a lousy time for you what with you feeling not well and having that humid weather.

    Anyhow, I do always find your pictures most interesting. We are subjected to such shows as Storage Wars over here.

    I shall make no mention of that certain, oh so cocky cloud....

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny ❤🐶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you you Penny!!!! I hope you are feeling comfortable. And thank you so much!

      Delete
  14. I hope things are better for you now. With all you've described here things don't sound all that bad.

    I'm not a regular viewer of Storage Wars, but I've enjoyed the episodes that I have watched. I think it would be fun to buy up those lockers that go on the market, but I don't need to accumulate any more stuff. I used to have a customer who started buying stuff at storage auctions. He started filling up his store with more and more stuff that he had bought in the auctions and bought less from the company that I ran. I think he totally changed his business model to become a seller of the stuff he purchased from those storage auctions. I've wondered what happened to him as he closed down his store that was near me and moved to Las Vegas to open a new store.

    Have a great fall season!


    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe me Lee, they got much, much worse in September. I haven't had the strength to blog about it but I think I will do an update in a day or so. I'm really sorry I haven't been to anyone's blogs. My blog friends who are my FB friends are aware of the situation but I should update.

      Delete