Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

June 25, 2017

Finding Seaview Terrace

Continuing along Cliff Walk, I arrived at the Vanderbilt's Breakers mansion. 


This gate is sooooo cool.


I heard about this lock on a fence thing from France but I didn't realize they were doing it in Newport. It's supposed to be a symbol of love or something, as couples put their names on them.  

As I understand it, whatever preservation trust that now controls this still allows members of the Vanderbilts to occupy the top floor.  Journalist Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son, but I don't know if he visits.



Then I arrived at Ruggles Street and exited the Cliff  Walk so that I could try and find #207.



The blocks are incredibly long because the properties are huge, and I soon realized there was no way I could possibly reach 207 on foot, so I started the approximate mile walk back to my car. 

Now I was super thirsty and couldn't wait to get my hands on the bottles of water I knew were in there.  It was starting to get a bit toasty in the warm midday sun.

Oh yeah....I saw tons of Stop signs that had 'Trump' spray painted on them.  Surprised this part of of town hasn't cleaned them off. 

That tree was HUGE.




Got to the car and pulled out my map and headed to 207 Ruggles Street.  Fortunately for me I had spent some time on the street view of Google Earth so I had a really good idea what to look for.  Seaview Terrace is a super private home.  Part of it was built in Washington DC, disassembled and moved to this property where it was joined to an existing building.  For awhile it was leased to Salve Regina College, but the lease terminated and now a descendant of the owners lives there.  However, you might know it as Collinwood Mansion, from the original 'Dark Shadows' show.  I was never a fan of the show but I always loved the opening credits showing the mansion and the crashing sea.  There is a fence and hedge all the way around and just a tiny opening in the bushes where you can jam your camera against the fence to get this shot.

It was time to head on home and I got hopelessly lost driving all around trying to find the way out.  I was starting to panic when I somehow found my way back to the main road out.  I was quite happy to see this sign!

I am planning to go back as I missed quite a few things!

20 comments:

  1. I love those old mansions, for some reason. I feel as if I could move right in and be quite comfortable. Ha Ha. Gorgeous gates, were those posts gold leafed in the past or is that some form of fungus growing on the tops? Oddly enough, I never watched Dark Shadows, maybe I should. Thanks for the day trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's moss of some kind, or lichens on the posts. I never really watched Dark Shadows either....it scared me when I was a kid. In the mid 80s, I worked at a TV station that showed it but I didn't have time to watch since I was working.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating homes JoJo, love the idea of building something in NY and then shipping it to it's final site. Money eh? Those really are fantastic houses. The padlock thing in Paris, they found that the accumulation of locks was so heavy they have had to remove them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that the City of Newport has allowed those padlocks. I only noticed them in that one section of the Cliff Walk. I do love those mansions. It would be nice to have one. lol Geez I'd be happy with a second bathroom and one more room for my books that are STILL packed from my move 6 years ago!

      Delete
  3. I love huge mansions. Just amazing. Keep venturing out. I am a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's the hope, to keep venturing out but sometimes my anxiety is like, 'oh it's too far....stay in and cross stitch...' I hate that.

      Delete
  4. I thought I posted but maybe not. Love this. Want to see it. Thanks for your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to do and see in New England, that's for sure!

      Delete
  5. I loved your Newport tour. I haven't been there in years. Those mansions are so beautiful. I cant imagine what it must cost for the upkeep of the buildings and grounds. I so enjoyed my trip there and the cliff walk. Thank you for sharing. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know how many of those mansions are still owned by private people, other than Seaview Terrace. I hope to get down there again one of these days!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10:26 AM

    I absolutely love that tree. It's gorgeous! I bet my kids would've loved climbing in it when they were little.

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a magnificent tree. If I wasn't in a rush to get back to my car I would love to have ventured closer to it.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son. He's so down-to-earth and adorable to be that closely tied to big, big bucks. Very cool - I enjoyed this tour, especially the Stop Trump signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not something he ever goes out of his way to mention. I remember being really surprised when I found out too.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous3:59 AM

    That tree is amazing! And I love the Dark Shadows mansion. I was a fan. :) I don't know that Anderson Cooper or his mom have any rights to any of the old Vanderbilt stuff. HBO had a documentary with Anderson and Gloria and I think she was cut off. I'll have to watch it again to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I looked up The Breakers online, all it said was that the family is still using the 3rd floor. Gloria didn't need their money anyway...she was a fashion mogul in her own right.

      Delete
  9. Hey JoJo,

    I know, I know, hard to believe, I'm actually visiting and leaving one of my um, eagerly anticipated comments. Or something like that.

    I would love to have that mansion. That tree is something else. I've seen Anderson Cooper over here. Yep, we get CNN news. Trump's favourite TV network.

    Cheers, JoJo.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary! Good to see you and thanks! I would love that mansion too. Any of them really. Heck I'd be happy with a bigger house that has a 2nd bathroom! lol

      Delete
  10. Oh those mansions are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to live in one! We could have the whole family live in it and still have plenty of our own space. lol

      Delete