Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

April 20, 2017

Talbot's Point

Talbot's Point is a small bit of conservation land in E. Sandwich.  I grew up right down the street but rarely ever went there.  It kind of scared my parents, the thought of me wandering around in there.  And in the mid 80s there was this ridiculous rumour...which turned into hysteria....that there was a satanic cult practicing in the woods here and were sacrificing animals.  It reached it's crescendo on Halloween 1986.  Of course nothing happened, and it was just a bunch of kids out there partying and drawing pentagrams everywhere.  


Russell's not crazy about my solo adventures to the beaches and woods so I dragged him with me.

There are several trails that go down to the marshes, and some that hook up with the trails at the old bird farm.

Skunk cabbage.


Any time the trees would start to get green would be good.

Low tide.


This is the bridge that links the point with the bird farm conservation area.  There are no more birds there now.




Cranberry bog.

No idea what these were.




Widow makers

And new growth


When I was a kid I would walk these tracks, from across the street from my house and all the way down to the end of Old County Road.  Russell used to walk the tracks to E. Sandwich from where he lived at Town Neck, hunting for rabbits and birds.  

This is looking towards the east, where I lived.

I'm glad that it's finally getting nice enough that I can get back out to explore again.  It seemed like a very cold, long winter.

18 comments:

  1. Even a tad bleak, it is so pretty. I am in PA visiting my dad and the trees are popping. Spring is in the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I am looking forward to seeing green again. Spring is slow this year. Bulb flowers are blooming but the trees are taking their sweet time.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:41 AM

    I'm happy that it's getting nicer out too. I truly believe that you could see these pictures, JoJo. You have a gift when it comes to being able to capture beauty and make me feel like I'm right there with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elsie! You are so kind to say!

      Delete
  3. Today it's been chucking it down and I so need the sun for the asparagus to grow. Not particularly warm here, but not that cold either. For us, been a fairly warm winter by comparison. Love your pictures. Bird farm? What kind of birds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They raised game birds, pheasant and quail. They were bred and then stocked in areas for hunting. They also rehabbed injured owls but didn't release them for hunting purposes. It's long gone now though, they tore all the buildings down.

      Delete
  4. you always have such a beautiful assortment of photos.
    glad you took hubby along, you probably shouldn't be alone.:)
    happy days to you,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. He really hates my solo trips but what am I supposed to do when most people work on the weekdays?

      Delete
  5. Those little wooden bridges always fascinate me.. i don't know why.. beautiful pictures JoJo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bridges like that too! Thanks Krishna!

      Delete
  6. Interesting trees with their twists. Cool bridge!
    Nice walk! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure it will be much prettier when the leaves finally come out. Of course so will the ticks!

      Delete
  7. Your photos are as beautiful as usual and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "old bird farm"--sounds like where I belong.

    Love the photos! Nice work.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Lee!!!! Good one!!!! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. JoJo, Talbot's Point looks lovely, even with the winter bare trees. Of course I bet it would be spooky at night and would definitely entice teens to go out there and create their own version of the Blair's Witch Project. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't want to be in there after dark, that's for sure!!!!!

      Delete