Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

March 25, 2017

Old Silver & Chapoquoit Beaches

Jen and I were discussing how Cape kids were funny in that we pretty much stayed in our own towns, or would congregate at the Mall in Hyannis.  As a result, she's spent little time in Sandwich and I've spent very little time in Falmouth.  It always seemed like it was 'so far away' and I'd almost rather go to Boston or PTown instead of 'all the way to Falmouth'.  It's so stupid cause it's less than 20 miles away.  Boston is like 55 miles and PTown over 60.

So because of that, this is the first time I've ever been to Old Silver Beach.  It's really popular in summer of course but they charge a lot to park.  


It was an incredibly still & clear day on the water.  That's looking out into Buzzards Bay, at the Cleveland Ledge Lighthouse which I've featured in posts from my trips to Scraggy Neck.


We both found decent beach glass hauls from here! 


Doesn't the water look tropical?


Next we stopped at The Stone Store.  This is so incredibly worth stopping to see.  There are so many crystals, stones, and all kinds of stuff made from them, hanging things, carvings, etc.  Fossils.  I'm definitely going back there again.  

Next stop was to the town landing for a few more snappies.







Next stop was Chapoquoit Beach for more great glass finds!




Quite a few off leash doggies who were extremely enthusiastic about being at the beach.  I wish I could trust Sagan off leash but I really don't, that's why I didn't bring him.  He hasn't been around dogs, other than Pepper, for many years.  I'd have to try doggie daycare first to get him used to it again.




This was my haul!  Jen found a bunch of great pieces too!


16 comments:

  1. It is funny how you said people stayed in their own areas because that is pretty much how we are with going to stay with my parents in Orleans. We have gone to Provincetown twice in 20 years I think, and have been to a few other places for specific outings (dinner, mini golf, movies). We do go to Hyannis from time to time for "big city stuff" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend moved to Orleans in the beginning of 3rd grade and we wrote letters to each other throughout elementary and high school. After we got our licenses, it never occurred to either of us to meet up in Hyannis, or go to each other's homes. We laugh about that now.

      Delete
  2. what a beautiful place! thanks for the stroll along the beach, and that water does look tropical (although I know better with the breeze this time of year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water on this side of the Cape is generally much warmer than the Bay side where I grew up....but that's all relative this time of year! haha

      Delete
  3. Such nice water and beach pictures, makes me wish I was there. You had a good day for your trip. Decent beach finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was great to get out and walk!

      Delete
  4. beautiful beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a splendid time with your friend. I yearn to walk a beach. It's funny- here in TX you drive 100 miles no sweat- more open space and highways. Back east in PA it was a big deal to go 20 miles. All perspective. Glad you ventured out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling anywhere in WA or CA is the same way....takes forever to get anywhere.

      Delete
  6. the sun glistening onto the water is so beautiful. you found some beautiful pieces, maybe you can find a way to display them.
    we don't let our pups off their leashes if there's not a fenced area. we just feel that you never know what could grab their attention and a fun time could turn into a nightmare in a split of a second.
    hope you're enjoying your weekend! thanks for sharing all this beauty. :)
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I agree with you about off leash. I don't trust Sagan at all and even if I could, I am too scared something could happen to him so he's always on a leash. And he's too strong for me to control if he sees things he wants to check out and lunges. He will pull me over, there's no doubt. I can't take the chance.

      Delete
  7. You make me yearn to go for a beach walk, JoJo, even here in the Pacific Northwest where the beaches can be rocky. It's the sound of the water that I like.Love the water shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Chrissy goes to White Rock frequently...do you ever go there? I wasn't impressed with the beaches in Stanley Park. Love the ones on Vancouver Island though! Point No Point, French Beach...Willows Beach. Really great.

      Delete
  8. The water does look tropical, and you live so close! Oh, I envy you. I think I have a mud puddle in my back yard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be near the water, that's for sure. I could never be happy in a land locked state. The Great Lakes are awesome but it's not the same as the ocean.

      Delete