Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

February 17, 2017

Winter 2017

Well winter's arrived.  We've had some snow events, cold temps and lots of wind.  Been pretty much staying close to home trying to fight the blahs.  I'm very excited though cause a Planet Fitness is opening nearby.  There's been a large, empty storefront in Wareham and I've been saying for the past 5 years that it'd be awesome if Planet Fitness would take it over, and they are!  Whoo hoo!  I joined...it was only $1 to join and it's only $10 a month.

Been cooped up in the house for too long.  It's been too icky to take any more walks.  It seems like all the seasons have moved forward by a month.  January isn't bad, but winter now starts in Feb.  I know puppy would like to get back out to his walks.

We had a snowstorm last Thursday and the power was flickering a lot and the internet kept going out too, so I took the opportunity to stitch and stuff the swirl latch hook into a pillow.  I did the peace sign the next day.

Another batch of peanut butter fudge.  I'd promised my daughter in law, her mom and grandmom that I'd make them some.  

Nice sunset the night of the Superbowl.  That was quite the comeback in overtime.  Pretty amazing stuff.




After the snow storm last week.  Gnomey wasn't very happy.

And then there was my problem child, the advent calendar.  All attempts at doors failed.  So I had to "Plan B it" and just make it a hanging altered art piece.  I edged it with twisted pipe cleaners and added the coloured brads to the six points that stick up in the top and bottom.

Added a sled and snow to the top.

Red & green sparkly ric rac down the sides and which make the hanger.

And sparkly red felt on the back.

So the day of the snowstorm I had to do colonoscopy prep.  This was my first one and I was pretty terrified, mostly of the prep.  And my prep fears were pretty accurate.  It was one of the most miserable days ever.  I was so glad that Marsha told me to use a straw.  Everything I heard about the prep drink was right.  It was horrendous.  Next to impossible for me to choke down.  And then running to the bathroom all afternoon and night.  Not being able to eat meant headache.  I was worried about getting to the hospital by 7:15AM given the weather conditions.  But my hero and rock husband got me there in plenty of time.  I was exhausted from about 3 or 4 hours sleep, hungry, cranky and scared.  

I was so glad when they finally got me into the procedure room.  The anesthesia was easily my fave part.  Once she started to administer it I could feel the warm fuzzies setting in.  The last thing I remember is saying, 'oh yeaaaaaahhhhhhh' and the nurse saying, 'starting to feel it?'  It really was like waking up a few minutes later when in reality it was 25 minutes.  They gave me a blueberry muffin and some gingerale, then discharged me to home.  The rest of the day I was extremely loopy but I don't have to have one for 10 more years so YAY.  If they don't come up with a better prep drink then I won't do it at all ever again.

Got these sand treasure things last year.  Russell didn't want me to do them...he kind of wanted to keep them pristine, which surprised me.  So I only did one last year and I felt like doing another one a few days ago so I did.

You just put it in some warm water and use the flat wooden thing to scrape the sand off.  It's like clay so this should not be thrown down the sink unless you want a brick of clay to clog the pipes.  I took mine outside and dumped it in the snow.

This one contained a real tektite meteor rock (top left) and some lovely polished stones.  I wasn't sure if the tektite was real cause it looks and feels like plastic, but I performed a "hot paper clip test" on it and the surface didn't melt so I guess it's real.

I was watching LOCI the other day, enjoying a rare Bobby Goren episode, when Sagan got up and stood right in front of me as if to say, 'Ai more innewesting dan Bobby Gowen'.  Actually it was almost 4:00 pm and he wanted his dinner.  

I hope you all had a nice Valentines Day.  We're observing it this weekend with dinner out at Mezza Luna.  Although knowing us it'll be more like take out from Mezza Luna!  

24 comments:

  1. Glad your procedure went okay. The prep is gross but better than cancer!
    Love your sunset pics. I would like some of your snow. Send it to TX
    Enjoy your V-Day dinner. Then celebrate President's Day
    Have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! You are more than welcome to take our snow. It's 37 right now but at least no snow in the forecast.

      Delete
    2. We are having a patio cookout Sat. 70s. C'mon down!

      Delete
  2. Sagan is a true love. The Christmas art is cute, doors or no doors. The latch hook work looks nice. I haven't had peanut butter fudge in ages, sounds good! Hmm, never heard of sand treasures, cool! Love your sunset sky. It's pretty warm here, the lawn is turning green, but I wouldn't bet it will stay that way, simply too soon, even with global warming.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SJ! The PB fudge was pretty tasty but I only had one piece for quality control. I would like to see the snow melt a little faster but at least there's none in the forecast.

      Delete
  3. Thank god, the procedure went ok.. and your are feeling fine now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too! I figured I would be fine but there's always that underlying fear. The prep is awful though.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever heard of a gym for only $10 a month. What a deal.

    Your pillows came out great. Love the swirl. Your sky pictures are gorgeous.

    For colon screening I hope soon you can just swallow a camera. Probably even with that, the prep is still necessary. Ugh. Glad it's over for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I can't wait till it opens. I like Planet Fitness' whole 'judgment free zone' thing. I can actually go in a ratty old tshirt and sweats and not feel like I'm a troll compared to all the spandex covered gym treats. lol

      Delete
  5. Please give your pup a Big hug & kiss for me. :) I love love love the beautiful reflection in the old window...gorgeous!!
    the super bowl comeback was Amazing! So glad I was watching the game.
    Enjoy your Valentine's celebration with your hubby. :)
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I will give Sagan a hug and kiss from you...the more attention he gets the happier he is. lol

      Delete
  6. you had a really good time i see:) it was a pleasure to watch all of those photos:) follow;) now waiting for U:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ew, colonoscopy. Never had, never want. I'm due my last ever cervical smear but I think I'll pass. Still plenty of joint replacements to come in my future...
    Love the very thought of the peanut butter fudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was putting off mine too but they forced me into it. At least it's over.

      Delete
  8. I really like the spiral rainbow pillow latchhook (I think) pillow. It's loud and exciting.
    Stay warm and well, and keep enjoying your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! Yes it's a pillow...they are both pillows. :)

      Delete
  9. Not a fun procedure (having gone through that myself). gorgeous pics of the sunset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it was not. Well the procedure was fine I guess....the anesthesia was so awesome. The prep was the hellish part. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous1:21 PM

    I totally dodged my colonoscopy. It was too close to the holidays! But they just told me to drink Metimucile and have broth n' water. I never drink anything THICK and GOOEY. I tell them to find something else and they always do. I went thru that thick n' gooey crap with chemo testing. Never again.. I'm happy you're done for the next 10 yrs. I really need to reschedule mine. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the worst ever. The taste was awful. They said to mix crystal lite with it and that didn't help at all. If anything, it put me off crystal lite for a couple of days.

      Delete
  11. Hey JoJo! Those pillows are so pretty!!! As are your beautiful sunset photos!! I agree with your observation about the seasons shifting. But what a crazy week we are having with this warmer weather. Also - I was the same way about the Super Bowl - totally watching fr the commercials. Then next thing you know I was up until 11:30 watching that crazy amazing game!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!!! Speaking of the superbowl, I really miss being on the west coast with the earlier start times. You could watch a game into overtime (or extra innings) and still get to bed before 10.

      Delete