Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

June 24, 2016

Wildflowers & Upper Shawme Pond Dam

On the way home from Sandwich one day, we made a quick visit to the Shawme Pond Dam.  The upper pond is a bit higher up than the lower pond, which is seen here from the short trail that leads to the dam.




There was an old, and small, dam between the ponds but it was completely redone in 2008, including a herring run.  This is looking at the lower pond from the top of the dam.

Mom & Dad swans with their five cygnets.

The wildflowers are spectacular.

 The little waterfall.

Upper Shawme Pond, which is actually really large but we didn't feel like hiking down the trail to the viewpoint, as I'd hurt my ankle over a month ago and it's still bothering me.

Trail off to the right goes downhill to where you can see the upper pond.











One of these days I will take this trail which goes down to Quail Hollow, near the old elementary school.

 




12 comments:

  1. Looks like a gorgeous area and the flowers are lovely. I love to see all the pictures of where you live. Hope things getting sorted out in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. It is very pretty here. It was nice to do something fun for a change.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:02 AM

    The swans look so graceful as they swim with their little babies. Just adorable. And those flowers, the colors, just beautiful! What a great little trip you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we went. I went last year, but Russell hadn't seen the new dam...which I guess isn't very new as it was built in 2008.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place to visit. (And I wouldn't mind staying for a while) So tranquil. Your photographs would make excellent puzzles! Love the wooden fences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SJ!! I never thought of that, making puzzles from my pics! I would love to make money with my photography but I don't have the capital to start up and there are so many photographers on the Cape. I can't possibly compete with them.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful summer photos...and I love the water's reflection!

    Wishing you a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Hope you have a great weekend too! :D

      Delete
  5. I love the picture of that bridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful trail to walk, and love those sweet williams flowers - I don't think I've ever seen them growing wild before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white ones are Sweet Williams? I don't know the names of any of them. They're just all so pretty! :)

      Delete