Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

May 29, 2016

Main Street, Hyannis

It's ironic that these pictures are posting on Memorial Day weekend, because Main Street in Hyannis is now overrun with tourists, and will be until October.  I was glad I got down there on a quiet weekday.

I really don't like Hyannis at all, but Main Street is pretty awesome.  'Back in the day', there was not much for teenagers to do on weekend nights, except drive down Main (which is one way), turn the corner, drive up South Street and get back on Main.  Over and over.  Usually lots of traffic with kids from other towns doing the same thing.  Windows down, 1980's music blaring, waving to people, talking to them, shout outs...I don't think anyone does that anymore.  It was very 'American Graffiti-esque' but I think that's died out.

So many kitschy souvenir stores.



A real vinyl record store!!!!!






Tshirt shop.

More souvenirs.

I didn't bother going in.  It's not that good a bead store and the prices are outrageous.

In all the years I lived here the first time, and worked just down the street at Channel 58, I've never eaten a The Egg & I.  It's been here for a really long time; since at least the 70s.

Outside another souvenir shop.


This place is huge and has all your swimsuit, beach and tshirt needs.


 After leaving Main Street I wanted to go down to the harbour but I didn't want to pay to park, so I parked behind the Town Hall where it's free.  



I am pretty impressed that I didn't spend a dime on Main Street!  So much to buy!

8 comments:

  1. Perhaps you have become more discerning. . .? Nice tour of the Main street shops. I know a lot of places that up their prices during tourist season, to tide them over during low season. I guess it's ethical, but I don't think prices should change like that. Lovely photos as always, and thanks for offering all the Frisco info at my blog, JoJo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so excited when I saw your post about the Cliff House. Although...never call San Francisco 'Frisco'. lol The locals do not like it. ;)

      Delete
  2. There was a Wings near us in NC JoJo, as you say, it's huge and has everything you could need for the beach as well as a load of junk you don't need. Great pictures as usual, lots of things to eat too. I love fudge but avoid it like the plague. I learned to call it San Francisco in '88 when I was there, you are so right, they DO NOT like Frisco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I had no idea that Wings was a chain! I was surprised at how huge it is. I've never seen so many bathing suits, towels, tshirts, etc in one place. I never eat fudge. I love sweets but it's too sweet even for me. I went to SF w/ my dad in 88 too....I kept saying, 'Dad! QUIT CALLING IT FRISCO!' lol

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:02 PM

    I think it's becoming clearer and clearer.. I belong on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love it if you moved here!!!

      Delete
  4. You have so many lovely places near you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do. So much to do and see, yet most people around here never go to these places. My local friends have said they've learned so much about Cape Cod from my pictures.

      Delete