Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

May 1, 2016

Gray's Beach, Bass Hole and a Boardwalk

 After leaving Scusset, I jetted down to Yarmouth to check out their boardwalk at Gray's Beach/Bass Hole.  I didn't even know there was a boardwalk in Yarmouth till last year.  Had to check it out.   


Osprey nest

Gray's Beach which is really crappy.....although I can see going there in summer to cross to the nicer beaches at low tide when the water is warm.

Walked down to the end of the boardwalk.

I have no idea how to access the bay side beaches from here....I'll have to check some maps and see.


 There were thousands of minnows in this pool.  



I wish the water was as warm as it looked.






 Assuming this was an old pier, or maybe part of the boardwalk at one time.

Shadow in the water.

Looking back towards the parking lot.

I guess this area is Bass Hole.



 Saw some quahoggers digging in the shallow water.


And one silly German shepherd that plopped his butt down in the water.

I'm glad I saw it, and I hear that the sunset view is outstanding but I won't be headed down there for either sunset or sunrise.  Sandwich's boardwalk is way better though. 

Assume there will be boats here in a few days or weeks.



One more off the Local Bucket List!

13 comments:

  1. Looks like a great hike!
    And I am throughly amused that there is a place called "Bass Hole." My day: made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!! And people in Massachusetts are called Massholes. So this Masshole visited Bass Hole. lmao

      Delete
  2. You are so lucky to live where you do. We have some nice parks to hike around but nothing like a beach! They will never compare to beaches! Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Pretty soon I'll be avoiding the beaches due to all the crowds.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Wow. Well, you know me and my creepy crime show love. The first thing I thought of was a dumping ground for bodies. The only way you would catch me there is on a day that was highly populated or if I went with a group! And what the hell is a quahogger??? - Great photos of course, as always, but creepy in that "dead body dumping ground" sort of way. Hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha Well make sure you dump them on the outgoing tide. Quahogs are sea clams, and very popular to dig here. My dad used to go quahogging and Russell has been kicking around getting a commercial license to make extra money on the weekends. We have his huge bullrake here at the house. Oh, it's pronounced 'CO-hog'.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:58 PM

      Oh. Good to know because of course I pronounced it incorrectly, exactly as it is spelled.. Bleh.

      Delete
  4. so many beautiful beaches and waterways where you are - thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We do love it here...so much water. It's good for the soul!

      Delete
  5. That Osprey nest is pretty interesting.
    Happy May, JoJo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy May to you too! There are lots of osprey nests in the marshes around here. I love seeing them.

      Delete
  6. Long board walk JoJo. I love seeing Osprey nests like that. The water is incredibly clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as long as Sandwich's boardwalk! I love the osprey nests too. I don't recall seeing any the first time I lived here.

      Delete