Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

May 14, 2015

Copley Square and Stuff

Continuing on my walk and very ambitious itinerary, I found myself on Huntington Avenue by mistake which is behind the Pru, and I couldn't figure out how to actually get to the Pru itself because I wanted to go to the observation deck.  A lot of new buildings have gone up in the past 30 years so I couldn't cut through to get back to Boylston Street without back tracking by several blocks.

When I finally found the road through to Boylston Street, I found I overshot the skyscraper and I just didn't feel like heading over there as time was rapidly growing shorter, so I continued on my way.

Finish line of the Boston Marathon which was of course the site of that awful bombing in 2013.


Old South Church, another fave of mine with great architecture.  This is on Boylston Street.

Old and new John Hancock Buildings. The 'new' one opened in 1976 and for awhile some of the windows would pop out and crash to Copley Square below.

I worked in the old one at Boston's Hot Hits WZOU, The Zoo, answering the request line, my senior year in college.  It's hard to see, but that spire is a weather beacon with it's own little rhyme:  "Steady blue, clear view. Flashing blue, clouds due. Steady red, rain ahead.  Flashing red, snow instead." Although in the summer flashing red means the Red Sox game was canceled due to bad weather.

Boston Public Library.  I never really appreciated this place in the 80s, as it was a place I had to go to do research for classes and papers, and it was always filled with homeless people (esp. in winter) who could be somewhat aggressive. My roommate told me she was in there sitting at a table doing work and a homeless guy sat down right next to her and started eating coffee grounds.  She had to cut her visit short. Plus you had to dodge pee puddles on the carpets and the place smelled really bad.  You literally ran in and out to get what you needed or hit the microfiche room.  I don't know if that's changed at all in 30 years but I hope it has.

Old South Church again.  I could shoot this for hours too.

Trinity Church in Copley Square.



The tortoise and the hare in Copley Square.




Sort of looks like Gringotts, but I think it's supposed to be the State House.

Arlington Street Church.

By this point my feet were literally screaming for me to end the torture...but I still had a lot of things to see, and less than an hour to get my bus.  

8 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying these posts with all the pictures of Boston's architecture. I really like the picture of Trinity Church with the new John Hancock building behind it; I always love the juxtaposition of old/new buildings in cities. This just may inspire me to do something similar with Portland on one of my Mondays! Can't wait to see what you post next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to get more shots of those churches in and near Copley Square, and I should get inside the Library to see the artwork, I hear it's beautiful. And of course go to the top of the Pru. I can't wait to see your pics of Portland!

      Delete
  2. really enjoying the tour of Boston! so many beautiful buildings there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! For just a $33 r/t ticket you can walk and see soooo much in just a few hours. It's worth it.

      Delete
  3. Funny, I don't like the juxtapositioning of old and new. I had forgotten, when we drove to Boston from NC, (I was there for a conference) we had trouble getting to our hotel. We could see it, but all the roads were one way and none of them were going the right way for us. Love your pictures as usual. Particularly like the old buildings. So very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Boston is a complete mess to try and drive in. I won't do it. It's walkable and the T subway is efficient enough to get around a little faster than walking. At least Back Bay is laid out in straight lines. Downtown is a total maze of one way streets.

      Delete
  4. Lovely buildings and nice for you to reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a fun time in my life.

      Delete