Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

February 25, 2015

Icebergs In The Canal

I'm not sure that the Canal has ever completely frozen over as the currents/tides run fast, and it's sea level, but every now and then in winter there will be ice chunks.  I headed over to Sandwich around 10 AM and the water was totally clear of ice, even small pieces.  It was dead low tide on the Bay.  By the time I crossed back over at 1:30, the ice was so thick you could barely see any blue water at all.  

I went home, grabbed my camera and headed back out.  I thought I could get some good 'aerial' views from the vista points on Scenic Highway, but all the snow piles were pushed to the end of the parking lot and I was not about to risk my life scaling them....not with a sheer drop on the other side.  So I ended up at the Herring Run parking lot, where I still had to climb up a snow bank to see over to the water.  I only got 3 pictures at that place.  

Looking west



Looking east at Sagamore Bridge

So I drove back to Buzzards Bay and tried to get access to the Canal from the park.  It was a very cold and icy walk from the parking lot to the service road, and I had to very slowly and gingerly pick my way across the icy walkway and hope to god I didn't fall.  Looking east at Bourne Bridge.

This really blew my mind.  Never, ever have I seen this.

There's a channel of water out there in the center.


Brrrrrrrr


One last look at the Bourne Bridge and I was in a hurry to get to my car.  It was 14* and my ears were frozen.  I was probably minutes away from frostbite because they really hurt and burned after I got back in the car and turned the heat on!

Well I always wanted to see the icebergs in Newfoundland, but this will suffice for now!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! And I think it's cold here. I don't think I'd be able to breathe in that temperature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have asthma and breathing in this cold is difficult and it makes me cough. Today is 28 and it feels downright balmy compared to yesterday when I shot these.

      Delete
  2. Now you're sure you haven't moved to the north of Alaska?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to wonder that myself.....

      Delete
  3. Pretty impressive pictures. A good reflection of the severely cold weather you have had.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty! Yes, sure is. We woke up to 5" of snow this morning too, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. I'm SO over this.....

      Delete
  4. Hey JoJo,

    Just looking at those photos makes me get the shivers. At least this new computer doesn't freeze up. Warm and tropical over here in England :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I'm in any hurry for humidity, but it would be great if the snow and ice would melt off the roof. I'm starting to get concerned.

      Delete
  5. That is unbelievable how frozen it was. I wouldn`t have been as brave to walk out & get those shots, really is beautiful tho, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I bailed on trying to see the Canal from the vista point that are on the hills. I would have killed myself trying to climb the snow piles with a sheer drop on the other side. At least the Buzzards Bay park was shoveled enough to be able to get to the water.

      Delete
  6. You should move to Antarctica. I hear it's much warmer down there. This year has seen record breaking temperatures in the U.S. We've had one of the warmest winters on record here in Los Angeles.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could send our snow out west.....you guys need it so bad. Even Washington State saw a very dry winter overall, which is very unusual.

      Delete
  7. I've never seen anything like that either. I'm amazed you got such detailed photos. Don't risk your safety on our account, though I appreciate these scenes. I wish it'd warm up already for you over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Russell would've murderized me if he'd been home and I went out to take these. lol I told him after the fact. hahahaha

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! Cool but not. Don't get to close okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely not. lol Thanks!

      Delete