Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

January 27, 2015

I. Hate. Mercury Retrograde!!!!



So I had my new computer for 23 days when it decided to just die on me, losing about 2,000 pictures in the process.  Mercury retrograde had just started the day before, but things were going wonky for at least a week beforehand.  My phone kept turning off again.  Misunderstandings with people.  And I was seeing it all over my Facebook newsfeed about people's phones and computers acting up.  My friend Moriah's phone card somehow got wiped clean and she lost over 1,000 pictures too.  Another friend was trying to fly to California and the flights got all messed up resulting in a 24 hour delay. And yet I kept putting off getting my recent pics on the external hard drive and didn't it just bite me right in the ass.

I've never been one to believe in astrology.  I find it fascinating but I don't really think there's anything to it. Except for Mercury Retrograde.  For about 3 weeks, 3 times per year, the planet Mercury goes retrograde, which means that it looks like it's going backwards in the heavens.  It takes 21 or 22 days for it to go direct. Mercury is the messenger, and therefore rules communication of all kinds.



I first heard about it back in the 90s.  It always seemed like whenever my bosses had a major deadline, the computers and/or printers would just quit working, jam, refuse to reboot, etc.  My friend Sean, who was our receptionist, would point out that Mercury was retrograde again.  I started to track this phenomenon over the years and I firmly believe there is something to it.  Some retrogrades are worse than others.  This one that lasts from 1/21 to 2/11 has been a doozy so far, even in the days leading up to it.



My buddy Glenn at High Performance PCs of Cape Cod had me bring the new computer over so he could try to get it up and running but it was a goner.  But he went above and beyond the call of duty by ordering a replacement by overnight shipping, setting it all up for me and I picked it up just 3 days after my other new one died.  I am hoping that this one will last longer than 23 days.  It still has some of the same quirks as the other machine, like the sticky touchpad that drives me absolutely crazy.  I know you aren't really supposed to purchase technology during MR, but I was backed into a corner so I did.

As a side note, as I am writing this on Sunday the 25th, a major blizzard is going to wallop the east coast starting Monday night and lasting through Tuesday and into early Wednesday.  To say that I am stressed out would be an understatement.  The generator battery is dead but can be jumped....Russell showed me how before he left.  Please keep him, and all the truckers out there, in your thoughts (and if you are religious, your prayers), because I need my husband to be safe and he will be traveling north as the storm hits.  If you don't hear from me or see further postings for a few days, it means my power and cable are out.  I'm as ready as I can be under the circumstances, but I sure wish he was home.  Hopefully NStar will be prepared and out working.

12 comments:

  1. What a post JoJo! Have seen on our news the weather you're having, hope your generator kicked in - and that Russell and you all are safe x
    And as for losing 2000 photographs - I can't imagine how peed off you must be :( xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne! So far our power is still on but the blizzard is raging outside. Russell crushed it to get home from New Jersey yesterday and he was in the house by 6:30. As for the pics, I was very lucky to have already uploaded most of them to Facebook and my blog so I got those off easily enough. The day before my computer died, I'd also copied a couple of folders to the desktop computer in back so those were easily moved as well. The others were on the external hard drive and my camera. It took an hour or so, but they were all recovered.

      Delete
  2. Phew, that's lucky about all your pictures. It seems you are so right about Mercury after what happened to us this year so far. I do hope it won't affect Matt's senior drivers interview which is on Feb 11. Thinking about it, I've been having technology problems too. Never heard of this before you mentioned it earlier this year. Will take note of it in future though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear there is something to it. People that don't believe in MR brush it off as coincidence, but I truly believe in it.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry your life has gone into retrograde with Mercury. Dangit, JoJo. I wish you weren't in such a worrisome place. I'll be holding and sending thoughts and prayers for you and Russell. May safety and better times be in the stars for you stat. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! I'm hoping that we encounter no further problems, other than this blasted blizzard. lol

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:16 AM

    As soon as I heard about that storm heading your way I said my prayers for you and Russell both! I have a friend that lives in Brooklyn and one in NYC, and all of you were in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything is calming down for you at least a little bit.. Totally sucks about your computer, and you're right, MR is a bitch.. I don't like it.. Be safe back there! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a plowed driveway, the car started, his truck is OK and started fine as well, we never lost power. So yeah, overall it was fine. But it just did not stop snowing for over 28 hours. I know you love it but this was a bit much. My trash can out at the street tipped over and is now hopelessly buried under 3' of snow. Guess they won't be picking it up this week. lol

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of MR before but it's certainly interesting. I hope you're all safe and warm. It's amazing over here, a little bit of snow and we go into meltdown and it only lasts a day. We're really not prepared here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Yes, we are safe and warm. As long as the power stays on we're golden!

      Delete
  6. During Mercury's Retrograde Illusion, I happened to drop an expensive necklace on my way to a local art center. Unfortunately I didn't realize it at the time but when it became apparent that the piece had slipped from its carrying tray, it was too late. It had fallen out in the art center's parking area and a vehicle had run over it. The damage was pretty much total. I guess I could blame it on Mercury but in my heart (and in my head) I know it was my own damn fault.
    My youngest daughter works and lives in NY. She was bracing for a lot of snow but for unknown reasons the worst of the storm went around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's heartbreaking!!!!!! I'm so sorry that you lost that necklace. I think I'll blame the Seahawks loss on MR too! lol

      Delete