Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

October 23, 2014

An Interesting Day at Scusset

It was interesting in that the tide was going out and it was so windy that the beach had shifted quite a bit in just the couple of weeks since I'd last been.  There were a lot of seagulls and the Bay was fairly quiet with just tiny waves.  I was getting buffeted by blowing sand and I noticed that this particular high tide had deposited a lot of shiny bits of jellyfish, as well as a lot more clam shells than usual and a few small sand dollars.  And glass. 


Gentle waves in the Bay.



When I got to the breakwater, I could hear waves slapping against the rocks on the other side, so I climbed up and was surprised to see white caps on and in the Canal!  It reminded me of pictures of the 520 Floating Bridge in Seattle, where it's always calm on the north side of Lake Washington, but rough on the south.

You can see the white caps out there yet the Scusset side remained calm, but very windy.




Well hello gawjuss!  It was fairly fresh with the label attached, but I never turn down cobalt blue.

Found these cool operculums.  I love the pearly white one best.

Three tiny sand dollars.

Scusset glass scores.  I found a lot of unusual rocks and shells too.

These were my finds from my secret spot and a few that I picked up at Monument Beach, the day before I went to Scusset. 

I thought I'd made the ultimate red glass score at Mo Beach but alas it's just a red plastic cap that probably popped off a boat when it was being taken in or out of the water, since I found it in a small tidepool near the boat ramp.

Hey it's either get outside and get some exercise beach combing or shop at the craft supply stores!!!

12 comments:

  1. Oh I am so jealous of your sea glass finds!
    I love the shot of the crab and two shells.y favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking for beach glass is now a national, and dare I say international, obsession. I belong to a beach glass page on Facebook and I swear I am saving up my money to visit Okinawa. The stuff people find there is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Oh so weird you mentioned Okinawa; I watch a knitting podcast from there - two American soldier's wives and one mentioned going to Glass Beach there! Of course I thought of you...

    Great finds and love the photo of the calm water vs white caps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah there are some marbles and all kinds of beautiful coloured glass that people are finding over there in Japan. Of course you have to wonder how much of it came from that tsunami a couple years ago, which is sad too.

      Delete
  3. You show us your world at the seashore, JoJo, I love it. I'd be doing the same if I were there. Just love scouring the sand and hearing the waves. There's something about the ocean that draws us. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. I will get lost in my thoughts and in the hunt for stuff for hours. Then I look behind me to see how far I've come and go, 'oh crap.' lol

      Delete
  4. You are showing me things I missed when I lived in North Carolina. Spent a lot of time on the beach and picked up the occasional shell but that's all. Great pix as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't really an avid beach comber the first time I lived here...not like I am now!

      Delete
  5. JoJo, your day at Scusset's beach was a most lucrative one. It gave you some lovely sea glass and shells and a lot of wonderful photos . . . not to mention some fresh air and sunshine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, and exercise too. I was out there beachcombing & walking in the sand for almost 2 hours.

      Delete
  6. You have a great eye for little treasures. I'm convinced you could find them anywhere - though you chose the most serene of settings.
    Be well, JoJo.
    Have a nice weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Choose not chose, though, in this case, you chose. =)

    ReplyDelete