Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

August 27, 2013

Sagamore, Part 2

A very funny thing happened when I was shooting the Guglielmo Marconi Club, which is a men's club made up of mostly Italians, and men are recommended for membership, you can't just join.  Russell is a member of it. So was my Uncle through at least the 1980s.  I had been listening to a tape for awhile but had the radio on between the short drive from the Christmas Tree Shop to the Marconi Club.  'We Built This City' by Starship was on the radio and as I shot the picture of the sign, the line, 'Marconi plays the mamba, listenin to the radio!' was playing.  The timing was beyond perfect.  It took me aback a little; I even said out loud, 'Whoa....OK that was too weird.'  I even wrote it down on a scrap piece of paper so I wouldn't forget.  Seriously what are the odds of hearing that song at a Marconi location??



This used to be St. Theresa's Catholic Church but now it's a thrift shop.  I only went to mass once here when I was little and it was so pretty that I told my parents I'd want to have my wedding there.  I was told that it wasn't really my parish, and I could only get married at the church in Sandwich which was nice too, but not as warm & small as this one.


This creepy run down house is next to the graveyard which is perfect for it. I hope the inside is in better shape than the outside.

There was a fairly modern car in the driveway and the doors and windows were open, or else I would have crept around shooting more of it.

It reminds me of a specific episode of the X-Files, called 'Home', which was beyond horrifying, & chilled me to my very core.  And forget ever hearing Johnny Mathis' song 'It's Wonderful, Wonderful', which automatically starts to play in my head every time I drive by this house.


The Keith family tomb.  They operated the Keith Car & Manufacturing Company in Sagamore, making stage coaches and railcars in the 1800s.

Russell's paternal grandmother.

His paternal grandfather died when Russell was just a baby.  It bugs us that the last name is spelled wrong.

A lot of cool old stones, just like the rest of the local cemeteries.  So picturesque.

Massive rhododendron growing around this stone.






6 comments:

  1. Very cool pictures. I like the rundown buildings the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by rundown buildings...I want to know what happened!
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful pictorial tour. Jojo, you should get paid by local city chamber of commerce to make up promotional and tourism brochures. :)

    The moment of being at a Marconi place and snapping a photo just as Starship sings that particular line was certainly serendipitous in an odd X files sort of way.

    Speaking of which, I miss the X Files - and yes that was a really distrubing episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:27 PM

    I think cemeteries are fascinating places. I even got (accidentally) locked in one in Paris once! However, thanks to episodes of Dr Who featuring the fearsome Weeping Angels, stone angels now creep me out *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. They don't need to build movie sets when they have houses that look like that. Graveyards are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I don't wander around cemeteries; they creep me out. So does that old run down house! So glad I can view the pics from the safety of my own home! ;)

    ReplyDelete