Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

August 12, 2013

Edward Gorey House, Part 2

The Cape Playhouse is on Rte 6A in Dennis; I didn't stop to shoot a picture of it.  It's well known and respected for summer stock and has attracted a lot of famous actors and actresses over the years.  A brief history and list of some of the big name stars is HERE.






I meant to ask what this was supposed to be....it could be a Tinies clue but I'm just not sure.






This 3D book was pretty cool.  You look through a peep hole in the front and can see all the little cut out characters stacked behind each other.  

This was the best I could do with the camera looking through the hole.

 

He designed this weathervane.

And also the bad shaped brackets for the mantel.

You know how bad I wanted these....esp. that blue one.


And he also designed this adorable plush bat and if there had been one in the gift shop, it would have come home with me.







The upper floor is closed to the public.


So totally worth the visit....if you ever find yourself on that part of Cape Cod, I highly recommend it!

5 comments:

  1. It looks intriguing. The skull appears intelligent, though I prefer men (assuming he's a he) with noses and teeth. A neck and torso and, well, etc. help too.

    Cheers, Jo Jo.
    Have a great week.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those odd things hanging over the window have me baffled!?!
    Gorey's illustrations are quite unique, I've always loved the Mystery! introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fascinating place. Towards the end I suddenly realized where I had seen the illustrations before (duh!). I used to watch a lot of Agatha Christie mystery movies on PBS and they were part of the introduction to the movie. (My favorite was the maiden on the roof, with her hand across her forehead, moaning "Ooooh, oooh!")

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an older post but I just had to comment! Thank you so much for sharing your pictures of the different areas of Cape Cod. Some of the places are things that I remember having seen or been to myself and others just bring up good feelings; all make me smile. I was born and raised in MA just a little north of Boston. We used to vacation on the Cape (down the Cape lol) when I was little and it was a blast!

    Like you I enjoyed collecting beach glass, especially the colored glass. I had a small bowl that I kept them in on my windowsill in my bedroom and loved the colors they projected when the sun hit them. If I ever get to go up the Cape (I'm in FL now so it would be up for me *giggle*, I will definitely make a stop at the Edward Gorey House Museum. I love the eclectic mix of items in his house and your pictures of them are fantastic! My favorite of this group of photos is the stitched skull. Whoever stitched it did a great job with it and your photography skills are clearly shown with this pic. One can see the stitch detail in the pic at full size, without blurring and stuff. Photographing stitching can be very difficult, but you did a great job!

    Man I ramble too much, anyway thanks for the great posts and pics! I am enjoying them all!

    ReplyDelete