Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

June 26, 2013

Barnstable Village

Continuing down Rte. 6A, I arrived at Barnstable Village.  So many old houses, many date to the 1700s.

The imposing Courthouse.




I didn't get this dude's name....my bad.


I wandered into this front yard because I thought it was a giftshop, since there are a few shops, galleries and restaurants in the area.  Then I saw the 'private home' signs and crept back out to the sidewalk!

Barnstable Comedy Club.


The sidewalks are brick and it looks like people paid to have names and stuff engraved on some of them.

Ah well...Bruins lost to Chicago. 

Looking west down 6A.

Outside an ice cream shop.  He looks like Jerry Garcia.

Another old house.

I loved this castle at the pottery gallery.


The Olde Colonial Courthouse, which is now called Tales of Cape Cod.  I had to look it up but it was founded in 1949 to preserve the Cape's history.  The building dates back to the 1700s, and is one of the oldest Courthouses in the country, and served as a Courthouse till the mid 1800s.

In all the years I lived here the first time, I never once noticed this ginormous building on Rte 6A.  This time when I passed it on the way to the main village, it took me by surprise when I rounded the corner and I had to drive back to shoot it.  


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:17 AM

    We should dance while we are here. We never know how long we'll be here!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a quaint little community with lots of history. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:30 PM

    Wonderful - thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful little town! That one house does look kind of like a gift shop, heehee. I'd have probably done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that yard too. The owners make it so inviting. They should feel proud people think its a shop. :)

    Beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome historical town... great photo tour JoJo thank you!

    (and sorry my fellow Winnipegger Toews ruined Boston's party) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a quaint village Barnstable is, with lots of historic architecture and history. The "Private Home" is charming, I'm sure many people mistook it for a village gift shop and that's probably why they had to put up a sign. How funny it must have been to have visitors walk through their front door to find it was a private residence.

    ReplyDelete