Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

June 15, 2012

Threesome

Get your dirty little minds out of the gutter!  I didn't mean it that way!  ;-D

Here is the last of the beaded embroidery designs.  I started the first one at the end of April so it took just over a month to stitch all 7 designs.  Now I am working on the altered book into which they are going.

I noticed that my dear friend Marsha's birthday was coming up in June so I whipped up this beaded cross stitch and made a fridge magnet for her.  

Finally, my mom gave me an old wooden tray that saw a lot of cheese & crackers in its day, along with 4 pretty, patterned tiles.  She was going to send them to the thrift shop but asked if I wanted dibs on them first.  I painted the tray blue and envisioned stenciled designs on it.  I have always sucked at stenciling but I decided to give it another try.  

Stencil fail.

I was frustrated and posted the picture on Facebook, in the hope that someone could tell me what I was doing wrong.  Fortunately, few people commented that the trick to stenciling was to use an almost-dry brush, and dab at it, up and down, with the brush, applying more than one coat if need be.  It was a time consuming process, which took a couple of days to do.  I ended up taking over the kitchen table to get it done.

Stencil win!




As of the preparation of this blog post, I have not yet sealed the paint with Mod Podge.  After that's done, I will adhere the tiles to the center of the tray.

11 comments:

  1. Oh that's such a pretty embroidery. I like a bit of stencilling, I used to do a lot at university and did a whole project on it, it's such a good way to liven something up. The tray with the tiles looks gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoJo, I swear...every project that you post is prettier than the ones before. These are gorgeous! I love the bead work. And the tray...that would be so perfect to serve tea or coffee outdoors on a cool autumn evening. It's so pretty. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty - - it must be nice to be talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:05 PM

    You are indefatigable in your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you're so clever which is why I am passing on an Inspirational Blogger award to you (you read my post too quickly I put on twitter people first) All you have to do with this award is pass it on and say why the recipients are worthy of it. You can copy it from my blog and read why I'm passing it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Tracy said! I heart that paisley embroidery, and am really impressed by your idea of turning that other stitched project into a fridge magnet - that would never have occurred to me. But your work on the tray really bowled me over! Such a pretty blue! And the white stenciling proved a perfect accent. And those tiles! (Those really appeal to me, as tiles are very common Portuguese decorative items.) Kudos to you, JoJo!!!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The stencil tip really works. I wish I had your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:55 PM

    You have so much patience AND talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your kind comments! :)

    Anne, thank you so much for the award! I appreciate the support and glad you like my humble bloggie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, this is amazing!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're unbelievable! The things you create are beautiful. I get exhausted just looking and I can't imagine how much time you put in...but, I know you love it.

    ReplyDelete