Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

December 6, 2011

A Trip to the Sandwich Glass Museum

Here are the pics I shot on November 26th at my fave museum.  You can read about the history of glassmaking in Sandwich HERE.  My squeeze's great grandfather was a glass blower at the old factory in the late 1800's!!  It's hard not to grow up in Sandwich and not develop a raging obsession with glass.  Most homes, especially the old ones, have cup plates displayed in their windows, except many of those are made at the modern Pairpoint Glass Factory in Sagamore.  Real Sandwich Glass, especially the Deming Jarves dolphin candlesticks, is worth oodles of money. 

Almost all of the pieces seen in these photos were made at that factory, with the exception of some of the contemporary paperweights and exhibits. And I want every single piece!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. There's some gorgeous stuff there. I could do with the glowing uranium glass, and the dolphin candlesticks are lovely. Actually, it's reminded me of an opaque blue glass vase with (I think) a fish or dolphin round it that was my parents' - it sould be around somewhere. I once found out what the glass was called, but I've forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What an awesome place! I've always been fascinated at glass-making. I've never seen one made in person, but it would be great to see one someday. The museum photos are great. I love looking at all your blog photos. Thanks for sharing!

    A Ladybug's Life

    Sonnia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I tweeted this one.

    ReplyDelete