Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

February 27, 2011

Olympia, Washington: Our State Capitol

After I left Nisqually I decided to head down to Olympia, as I've never spent any time there other than whizzing by on Interstate 5.  I figured I've been here 12 years, I should probably check out my state capitol.

Capitol Lake, West Bay and the Olympic Mountains.

Washington State Legislative Building.  Not quite as impressive as Victoria's.




No dumping in Puget Sound please!

I like the State Patrol cars but not when they are behind me with their lights on. lol

This image really cracked me up.


I realize that my state is named after George Washington and all, but we have the world's most boring state flag.


World War 1 Memorial

Another view of the Olys




After I left the Capitol Buildings, I headed down to 4th Avenue in downtown.  Olympia is like a miniature Berkeley or  Haight Ashbury.  


Not that I'm a Molsons fan, I just liked the leaf.  When it comes to Canadian beer, I'm partial to Kokanee.

Of course I stopped into this Deadhead/Reggae store.

I loved this Harley Davidson-like neon sign at the guitar shop.


I could have bought EVERYTHING in this little antique and curio shop, but I was a good girl and didn't buy anything.  The last thing I need is another knick knack.

Lots of murals in town.



Now that's what I call a hookah!!!

Chief Leschi of the Nisqually tribe.


7 comments:

  1. again, your pictures are beautiful.
    it must be so wonderful to live where you live, on the water, between 2 mountain ranges with so many photo ops. oh, and as far as peeing into puget sound, chicago used to have a campaign called, "don't do it in the lake". maybe washington could borrow it? and you can NEVER have too many knick knacks. i know-i'm the queen of knick knacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I daren't go into curio shops either!

    The war memorial is so moving.

    The flag, as you say, is so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Good job Jojo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoaaa, the hookah~ Oooooooooh.

    Me like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collection of photos. the icy stickman looks like he's waiting to catch a ball while standing on one leg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Brother has lived in Washington for 20 years...I don't think he's ever been to Olympia! Looks like a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:58 AM

    Those mountains are stunning...it takes my breath away every time you get a photo of them. I think most state flags are pretty boring, LOL.

    ReplyDelete