Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

January 4, 2011

I've (Sort of) Agreed To Do This Next Year

I've always joked that I would like to do a Polar Bear Plunge on New Years Day.  I'm usually at my warmest first thing in the morning.  I'm so hot that I can steam up the car windows on a cold winter morning.  Then I have to blast the defroster but keep the windows down so keep me from expiring due to the perspiring.  I figure if I get up, bundle up and blast the car heat, I'll be happy to jump into an icy cold lake.

This New Years Day my friend Rhonda put up a FB status about wanting to for a Polar Bear Plunge, somewhere in Pierce County b/c she didn't feel like going to Seattle.  I commented to her that I always wanted to do it.  She begged me and dared me (and called me chicken when I wimped out), to try and get me to meet her at American Lake in Lakewood.  I went with my standard, "I don't feel like driving that far" excuse.  So she calls my bluff and offers to drive to my house, so that we can do the plunge in Lake Tapps, which is right down the street from me!  Needless to say I begged off and said I'd do it next year when I have more time to get mentally prepared.  But I didn't think she was serious about going through with it.

At about 1:30 pm on New Years Day, this picture pops up on my newsfeed with the title, "I DID IT!"  There's Rhonda, in American Lake, in Lakewood.

Photobucket

I asked her if she dunked her head or only went in as far as her waist.  She said she went to her shoulders, and is saving the head dunk, "....for next year when you come with me."  Looks like I'm committed now.  Or I need to be committed for agreeing to do this!  Brian said he'll be sure to take photos.  I now have just under 365 days to get used to the idea.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:11 AM

    You plunge, I'll watch you (from the couch)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a very brave feat. I came from a tropical country, so I'm used to warmth. Plunging in cold like that would be the death of me. Bahahaha! Goodluck my friend!

    http://brownbugz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your friend need to come to Minnesota to do a real polar plunge, where you need to cut a hole in the ice before you do it. Not very polar when the lake isn't frozen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some real nutters in this world! Whole groups of people over here PUT ON THEIR BATHING SUITS AND GO FOR A SWIM AT CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR even with snow and ice on the ground.

    Do us all a favour and get yourself a wetsuit - or better still, a dry suit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Okay, I'm gonna hold ya to it girl.
    Brrrrrrrr....::teeth chattering::

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hell I would come to Washington in 360 days to do it WITH YOU!!!
    I believe in doing insane things.....it builds character.
    (Of course I'll be sorry I said that when I dunk my big toe in!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. & you think I'M crazy for enjoying long distance horse rides?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane - I'm not sure how much plunging I'll do, so much as tentative wading.

    Brownbugz - I had friends from tropical climates in college and they were cold in 80 degree weather. lol

    Ducky - Baby steps my friend! I don't think I'll be going in an ice hole.

    Val - Kind of defeats the purpose of the plunge if I use a dry suit! Although I won't be going in a bathing suit either...no one needs to see that. lol

    Bev - I must be nuts.

    Axe - Girl, if you came here to do the plunge with me, I would LOVE it!

    Val - but at the end of my plunge, I get to go home. You still have miles and miles to ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully you have a strong heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:39 AM

    No no love, it's my understanding that when water is very cold, it's important to get those shoulders underneath it a.s.a.p. - and I speak as someone who learned to swim in an outdoor pool that could freeze the vital parts off brass monkeys, even in the height of summer ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:45 PM

    Wow, they do that here in Pittsburgh...I'd be more worried about what's in those rivers than if it were cold or not!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you can tell the difference between me and Val, 'cos I was wondering there for a while when I'd made the second comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well at least she's clothed - here they do it in speedos and bikinis! Brrrr....

    Can't wait for the photos tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You only live once! I say DO IT!!! Heck maybe I'll join you :)

    ReplyDelete