Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

August 9, 2006

Thank you Jerry

Today marks 11 years since Jerry Garcia died. Brian and I miss him so, so much, and we miss the Grateful Dead and the caravan of trippy, dippy, tie-dyed, long haired freaks of which we were proud members. Below the photograph, are the lyrics to one of my favorite Grateful Dead songs, "Brokedown Palace". It's a slow song, and very beautiful. Makes me cry nearly every time I hear it. I wanted to have it played at my dad's funeral, but I figured my mom wouldn't be on board.

Fare you well, my honey. Fare you well, my only true one. All the birds that were singing, have flown except you alone.


Gonna leave this Brokedown Palace. On my hands and my knees I will roll, roll, roll. Make myself a bed, by the waterside. In my time - in my time - I will roll, roll, roll


In a bed, in a bed, by the waterside I will lay my head. Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.


River gonna take me, sing me sweet and sleepy. Sing me sweet and sleepy all the way back home. It's a far gone lullaby, sung many years ago. Mama, Mama, many worlds I've come since I first, left home.


Goin home, goin home,by the waterside I will rest my bones. Listen to the river sing sweet songs,to rock my soul.


Gonna plant, a weeping willow. On the banks green edge it will grow, grow, grow. Sing a lullaby, beside the water. Lovers come and go - the river roll, roll, roll.


Fare you well, fare you well, I love you more than words can tell. Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know this song, but the lyrics are indeed beautiful. I can see why you find it so moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know it either, but I can see why you wanted it for your dad's funeral.

    ReplyDelete